Digital Cinematography, where to begin?

Blue6

Hi all,
New to this forum as I'm searching for help basically.

OK, I've been shooting underwater DV and HDV for the past 15 years. I'm completely self taught thus far and am planning to move to a higher format within a year. A higher format being a digital cinema camera using 35mm lenses etc.

In my work to date I have been fortunate enough to work with many leading entities such as Nat Geo TV and Film, national broadcast outlets from Finland, Australia, Korea and the Philippines. I have also produced and had short films reach finalist status in some pretty big festivals. SO it's not as if I am a diver with a pipe dream.

I live and work in the paradise setting of Palau in the western Pacific where I dive almost daily and provide a souvenir DVD filming service to visiting divers.

My dilema is that I now, after 15 years of self teaching in DV and HDV, wish to move on to something more demanding. I have a couple of investors thus far willing to back me on a project that will take upwards of seven years to produce, basically an underwater symphony, me traveling for maybe six or so years to some of the worlds most obscure dive locations to film their natural diversity.

Trouble is I am not that technically aware of the physics and workings of cinematic cameras etc. I am basically looking for some complete guidance in attaining a better understanding of cinematography from a digital camera perspective.

Anyone out there, DP or proven cinematographer, looking for a penfriend?

In advance, thanks.
Mark.

Network Sponsors

Back