Dialogue with reflection

K

kiz

I am going through the process of writing a script and I would like to do a script where the main character has a conversation with her reflection. Think green goblin in Spiderman 1 or Nikki from Heroes.

The actress and the mirror image are going to be costumed differently. I think it is a matter of shooting the actress talking and then change her costume for the reflection and film her again and then composite the shots through something like Final Cut Express (or Pro). Is this the right line of thinking?

Depends on how the two people overlap each other. If they don't and the foreground person is on one side of the frame and the mirror and reflection is on the other side, then a soft split-screen in post would work fine probably.

But if the foreground person's shoulder is overlapping the person in the mirror, then the foreground shoulder may have to be shot in front of a greenscreen and composited over the mirror shot in such a way as to block the original person's shoulder (the person in the mirror). There may be some simple trick to not getting the original shoulder in the shot when you get their reflection, so compositing a new foreground person is easier.

Of course, if it's just a shoulder, use a double, and instead of a mirror, use a frame with a window looking into another room and fake that it's a reflection, ala "Peggy Sue Got Married".

Network Sponsors

Back