Deep rumble?

JZASMM

I was watching the Return of the King last night and I noticed that there was a lot of very deep rumbles throughout the film, many times in a pulsating manner, and I was wondering how you would get an effect like that? Thanks.

Jacob

Sub-Harmonic Synthesizers/Generators are often used for effects like that. What happens is it takes the sounds pushed through it and adds an extra bass (sub-harmonic) element to it. Take a basic sound like a brick scraping across the ground and add in sub-harmonics and it can become a really bassy full effect. These add this bass in a manner where you don't peak-out and become a clip-ridden mess as what might happen by just boosting bass frequencies within the audio-file itself.

I've never used Soundtrack Pro, so I wouldn't know if there are any plug-ins you can purchase for that. I do know you could purchase an outboard sub-harmonic generator and playback your sound through that recording the processed sound again.

Oh, and if you decide to look into purchasing something like that I HIGHLY recommend checking them out in person. Usually stores like Guitar Center (or your local equivalent) are totally willing to take a piece of equipment and get it hooked into a system so you can try it out. Bring in your audio file(s) on an I-Pod or something and play them back through so you can make sure you get the sound you want.

Good Luck

So how does a subharmonic generator work? Do you play your audio through it and then re-record that or what?

Create the rumble easily

Create the rumble easily

One method is to take a sound from an fx library that is already a sort of low drone or a low sound you may have recorded yourself. Then you pitch change it 10 to 20 steps lower, without timing compensation. Add an EQ plugin into your channel and roll off the highs aggresively. This is fast and wont' cost as much as a sub harmonic synth. If you need to find a low rumble sound, you can find one at http://www.mysoundfx.com/index.php/Rumbles-and-Low-Drones/View-category.html. I made this one myself and it is absolutely free to use.

Regards,
Chris Ives Del Aguila
www..mysoundfx.com

Network Sponsors

Back