Cubase SE

Kim Welch

Staff member
I have a Yamha Key Board. Not a really high end one but it has USB midi. I want to lay down some tracks and put the sound with my video or make it available in WAV files for others to download.

I purchased Cubase SE. I have not really gotten started yet. I am wondering if there is a better way to do this? Any suggestions?

Also, what is the best hardware software set up for about $2500.00? Can I get used software, if there is such a thing?

Kim

I use Reason 2.5

I use Reason 2.5

I use Reason 2.5 as a plug in to Pro Tools (works for Cubase also I believe, if not, Reason is stand alone and will work with your key board) and it works great.

Tons of voices and endless ways to tweak them. If the "Rewire" plugin works the way it does with Pro Tools, the entire output of Reason will be available as a track in Cubase, so you can mix it with other tracks if neccessary and mix it down to .wav.

http://www.propellerheads.se/

kaos

Pro Tools Mbox

Pro Tools Mbox

The Pro Tools Mbox package sounds like a good way to go. Allows you to run or host synth packages as well as record live tracks. Once your ready to mix, it has plenty of output options. Mbox retails at around $450 , comes with software and a breakout USB box.

if you want some amzing pro software 4 ur keyboard, 2 do wot u want and then clean it audioally (is that a word), then get the Cubase SX3 and the Steinberg cleaning studio (i think its something like that).

im on a bit of a lower budget and am using Cakewalk Project5, (soon Project5 2).

So if you want something a bit less cartoony than SX3, go for Cakewalk Sonar4, but still the Steinberg cleaning studio.

Sonar4 is actually meant to be better, but some people prefer using the Steinberg

hope that helps

T

Well, I think that Sonar is very good for pure composers, while Cubase is the best for audio technicians with some composing skills.

But of course these are just my two cents. They are amazing products and probably you only need to master one of them.

ciao Manuel,

come va?

id like to know why you think Sonar is better for pure composers?

I currently use Cubase SX2. Have heard a lot about Nuendo and Sonar but know nothing about them.

J.

Compatability

Compatability

Your first question should be how compatable do you need your system to be with others? If you plan on mixing your project at a larger facility it would make things much easier to match your system with theirs.

This leads you to a Pro-Tools OO2 system (Rackmount personally preferred). Has the most compatability with larger houses.

Another excellent option is Digital Performer. That company has come a real long way with their software/hardware systems.

Jordzen said:
id like to know why you think Sonar is better for pure composers?

This is because Sonar4 has ALOT more features than Cubase SX3, AND It is more easy to start off with and get the basics under control, leaving you more time to delve into the supreme depths of the program. It also has pretty much ultimate flexibility and its ability to do real-time surround-sound recordings is unmatched by any other at this present time. Just to name a few things.

T

Re: I use Reason 2.5

Re: I use Reason 2.5

kaos1000 said:
I use Reason 2.5 as a plug in to Pro Tools (works for Cubase also I believe, if not, Reason is stand alone and will work with your key board) and it works great.

Tons of voices and endless ways to tweak them. If the "Rewire" plugin works the way it does with Pro Tools, the entire output of Reason will be available as a track in Cubase, so you can mix it with other tracks if neccessary and mix it down to .wav.

http://www.propellerheads.se/

kaos

yeah you can rewire reason to cubase. basically reason becomes one (or more) cubase channel/s and you can use cubase plugins on the rewired channels.

open cubase first, open reason, go to cubase - device - reason and switch on the rewired channels you need.

Re: Cubase SE

Hi!

I suggest you

Soundcard:M-Audio 4410
Monitors:M-Audio BX5 (nearfield)
Midi Controller:E-MU Xboard 49

They are cheap and have a very good quality for their price

Also you will need some VST Plug-Ins such as:
Edirol Orchestral
Spectrasonics Atmosphere and Stylus RMX
The Grand Piano
Native Instruments B4
Virtual Guitarist

And try to find:
Waves diamond bundle
GRM Tools
Concrete FX tools

A word of advise.
If you want to do a very good work try to buy Steinberg's Nuendo.Nuendo has been designed just for Surround Sound (exactly for films)Cubase SE is a very good program but has many limititations (midi tracks,sends,inserts e.t.c)

You can find anything you want in reasonable prices at:www.thomann.de

Hope I helped you

Network Sponsors

Back