Creative Question... would love some help.

VMarty222

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum. I finally saved enough money to buy a MAC and FCP so I'm really excited!! I am a little rusty and I am trying to edit a few things. I was wondering if anyone knows how to spotshadow. Or other ways to highlight a specific object like making it color and the rest black and white. I would really love any kind of help. Thanks!

Thank you...

Thank you...

Thank you so much that really helps... I will definitely check out both those videos. Your awesome! :D

It's even easier and more effective in Color, and in Color you can pick out more than one color in a single clip.

Yeah Color has both Primary and Secondary rooms so you can even further your correcting with keys, vignettes, and color curves... but it can be done in Final Cut Pro as well.

Yes, it can be done in FCP, but not "as well", nor as actuate, or as fast, or as precise. The two methods really are worlds apart.

I agree Ben. Unfortunately the learning curves are worlds apart as well :~)

Is it just me, or is Color super-intimidating? I would love to be able to blaze through the Color interface and make magic with it, but I find it difficult to approach. Maybe once the interface makes it through "acquisition transition" and becomes a bit more mac-like, I will dive into it again.

I know it is amazingly powerful. Perhaps you can offer some advice to get me past my Color anxiety?

tracy

As an Apple Certified Trainer for Color, and the other FCS2 apps, I can tell you it's about the EASIEST to learn. It just looks weird when you first open it up. But then, so did FCP to most folks the first time they saw it.

Super simple to use, but there are tools and commands that aren't really obvious. You really do need a three button mouse w/scroll wheel (the third button being the scroll wheel), or you'll have a tough time working it.

The Peachpit Press book Apple Pro Training Series: Color, is about the best training around. Comes with a DVD full of lessons and media, so as you go through the book, you are actually doing the work. I could rant on about how your brain learns, but that degree in Ed. Psych gets me in trouble a lot. ;)

Don't be intimidated, it's an awesome app, easy to learn. The hard part is learning to see color, contrast, and composition. Things a book can't teach you. The physical tools are SUPER easy to learn.

Remember the very first time you looked at an NLE?

As for the interface, it's like that for a very, very, very good reason. All Apple will do is improve the text quality. But the gray and layout are purposeful, which the book will explain.

Yeah at first i thought Color was a little weird but if you've worked with Photoshop and the color correcting tools in FCP then its not too hard since they share a lot of the same interfaces. I have the Apple Pro Training Series book for Color and it explains the program really well and how to use things like the color scopes and all the advanced features within the program. The advanced stuff like key framing is a little more harder to learn at first but what is interesting about Final Cut Studio 2 is that what you learn in one program is easily accessible in another.

I have a tutorial from my monthly Final Cut magazine column showing how to quickly fix common video problems with Color. It will be in the March issue. Subscriptions are free, and once that edition is out, it'll be archived on their web site. After the beginning of March, go to eventdv.net and do a search for Ben Balser, or Cut Lines.

Network Sponsors

Back