Created This Forum After Reading the "Nexus" Post

G

After reading the following post by NEXUS we created this forum for all you interested in the Sony Vegas 5.0 software.

Truly
Kim

Nexus

Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:20 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a moment of resurrection I have decided to tell my experiences with this software. At my school we have used Sonic Foundry Vegas since the time the new teacher took over the postition. It is so much easier than what we used before that. Granted it wasn't Final Cut or Avid, but it was so much easier. At that time it was Vegas 4.0. Once Sony took over Sonic Foundry and came out with Vegas 5.0, Me and my teacher went crazy and insisted on purchaing the software for each editing station we have.

The reason that Vegas 5.0, in my opinion, is better than Final Cut or Avid is because primarily of its ability to preview the final product without spending the time to prerender what you have. With the prerender built into the program, it cuts down editing time on large productions by an hour or two at minimum.

I have used Final Cut before, as we purchased a copy to try it our, but the prerender function that was not there, and the fact that the different bins were a difficulty to manuever around gaev us the opinion to stick with vegas. Avid pretty much had the same problem, but I only used a trial version because the teacher didn't want to purchase a sopy just to be disappointed again.

This led us to Vegas 5.0. I can't wait until the sub-industry of post-production in filmmaking begins using Vegas 5.0 on more and more productions. With the Magic Bullet plug-in you can give the final product an appearance that has been seen in many different movies edited with Avid or Final Cut. Vegas can do almost, if not all, of the things that the other two leading editing software can do.

Some thing that and Vegas package has that the competitor software doesn't have is an excellent sound editing area built into the program. This audio editing portion is based upon the award winning Sound Forge audio editing package. This is another reason that Vgeas 5.0 Stands out above the others.

I plan to use Vegas 5.0 as long as I can. It has showed me the ease of editing and the time saving capabilities only help the matter.

I hope that this has given you some insight into the abilities and good things with Sony's Vegas 5.0.

Are you kidding me...?
Final Cut doesn't have pre-render...?!
Of course it does, I actually haven't been able to use Vegas because I feel the render speeds in Vegas are much slower than those found in FCP.
Although, the Mac I was using was slightly more powerful than the PC I had with Vegas loaded on it. But, then again, it probably all has to do with the settings, I think they both have very strong points, but for now I remain on the opposite end of this argument, I love FCP.

I didn't say that it didn't have pre-render I said that you have to render what you have in order to view it. In Vegas, you don't have to render your special effects before you preview your video. In Final Cut and Avid, you do. That is the problem I have with it. This is what I have gathered through my own use. Final Cut is a great piece of editing software, I just prefer an easier method to editing. For small budget movies and wedding ceremonies I use Vegas, but If I were to do a large production I would use either Avid or Final Cut, primarily because of their other abilities that do surpass Vegas' ability.

Don't get me wrong, I don't plan to completely shut out the other software programs, I just have a editing program that I have grown to enjoy using.

[edit] After reading over I do realize that I did say "prerender" rather than "preview." I apoligize, but I meant "preview."[/edit]

In Vegas, you don't have to render your special effects before you preview your video. In Final Cut and Avid, you do.

Well, in Xpress Pro so far I've only had to render effects for output to tape, not to preview them on screen. I believe FCP is the same?

Pre-rendering in FCP & Avid is just a setting that you choose to use or not. It also depends on the hardware capabilities of your computer.

When you work the two out, you can play through most everything in real time... however, there are effects that are too complicated to stream like that... though, you have to be doing a whole heck of a lot to accomplish that.

I use Vegas 5 personally and I find that it great that this online forum has created an area where users of the software can get together and share tips and tricks. Vegas is an incredably underrated piece of software and It's really gratifying to see it's popularity grow over the years (I've been a user since Ver. 4 just came out).

I be fair to the original post though, although Vegas excells in areas (I.E. Audio and Effects--Vegas can composite in 3d space and can Nest Layers), Vegas' competitors have a lot of features that Vegas does not, most notabaly being nested/intergrated timelines (Ver. 6 maybe?) and realtime hardware support.

Finally back to the forums, and I must agree that this software is underrated. I'm waiting for Sony to come out with another version that will be just as good, professionally, as Avid and Final Cut.

Network Sponsors

Back