cost of making an animation or cartoon?

Depends a lot on how you animate. If you want it to look like the 'Final Fantasy' movie (or better) then it's going to cost a lot of money, but if you go more the 'South Park' route it should be pretty cheap if everyone is working for free.

My first shorts were stop-motion animation with things I had around the house, and they cost the price of a super-8 film cartridge... but I can't see anyone queuing up to watch them :).

More work, yes. More costly, no. All you would need for a fairly respectable animation is paper, a pencil, a camera, sound recording equipment, and time. If you look at the work of don hertzfeldt you can see that they not the best drawn of all animations and the images are rather shaky, but they were still good enough to be nominated for an oscar.

Well I think it depens of a lot of things, first of all wich type of animation, Cut out, Stopmotion, CG, etc. In all animation, involves a lot of work and a lot of people. Now wich format super8, 16mm, 35mm or DV, I think DV is the cheapest, now you have several programs that act as a lunchbox or framegrabber. You conect your DV, mini DV camera or photo camera and you can start animating. Im making a short film 8minutes long and it cost me nearly $700, dlls. many people havs been involved but none is charging for they job.

work = cost.
time = cost

I think the average animator is paid 25 dollars an hour. Good fluid traditinal animatino a person animates about 25 to 30 seconds a week.

I average about 7 seconds a week but i'm not a proffesional and i dont work from 10am to 9pm 5 days a week.

Pixar uses more computer graphics than cartoons. Cartoonists are hard workers that apparently get paid a good bit.

With the Computer generated stuff you can repeat motions, such as talking or walking, and just change the background.

It depends on which type of anmation you were speaking of. I think that the 3d animated videos would be easier to make, rather than drawing out cartoons upon cartoons just to take pictures of and animate that way.

But all Animation takes a lot of time, even 3D anmation, becuase you have to render all your work, every frame of the movie and that takes a long, long time, and also that rendering time costs, so you may have less time doing the animation but you have a long rendering time that biulds up the budget.

Oh does it ever. Rendering video takes long enough as it is. Rendering animation is a workoad. One of my friends did an animation project for a contest in Atlanta. Rendering was more than half the time spent on the project.

A great solution, would be a faster render, and more powerfull machines. So I think is almost the same time doing an animation in 3D as in stop motion or other technique.

Network Sponsors

Back