Copyright

In what country? You do know that the copryight is not global, you have to manually register it in each country. There are companies that do the copywriting services for you, I worked with a few in my country. They had special packages for USA copyright, the European Union, other contries within Europe which are not in the Union and have a different procedure, the list is long. Also, China does not let you copyright anything within their country. At least, not to my knowledge.

It's good that you want to copyright your script because otherwise it can be stolen or used without your permission by others. I know that there are 4 types of copyright: publication right, reproduction right, adaptation rights and performance/display rights. I learned about this in class at Uni. There are a few steps to copyright your script and it doesn't end when you just submitted your script for copyright. The Copyright Office requires more information thatn just the title and date of submission in order to register your work. Make sure to fill in a complete application because otherwise it will be automatically denied.
I researched how the copyright works in the US, since I am from UK. Apparently, there is the US Copyright Office. On this website I found the following information:

How To Register Your Work For Copyright?​

Registration of work for copyright is the first step to securing your ownership.

The next step in the process is to create a Copyright Statement, which provides information about who created the piece and when it was created.

This statement can be included at the beginning or end of your work but must be present on every copy that you distribute. It should include:

1. Your full legal name (or company name) as shown in section 1A below.

2. The date of creation.

3. A description of what’s protected by copyright (for example: lyrics and music).

4. A notice warning others not to reproduce any part without written permission from you.

The article explain the whole process. Also, the article ends with this paragraph, which I also found to be relevant:

Receive The Copyright For Your Script​

Every day, scripts pour into Hollywood offices looking for production companies to pick them up.

Unfortunately, most of these scripts never make it past the first page because they lack professional formatting.

With the new Copyright Act of 1976, copyright now lasts for the author’s lifetime plus an additional 50 years.

This means that you can hold onto your script and be confident that it will remain yours to do with as you please.

If you’ve been working on a screenplay or any other type of material, don’t risk losing it by not registering your work before its protection expires!

I hope this helps you

Network Sponsors

Back