Copyright Problems

S

Stevie

Can someone please explain to me the rules behind using someone else's song in your short film? I have used some clips of some songs from the "WINTALKERS" soundtrack and was wondering if that will be a problem when sending it to some festivals or contests. Do i need to get permission? Can i just name them in the credits? Please advise!?!?
________
nice tits Cams

Last edited:
Can someone please explain to me the rules behind using someone else's song in your short film?

Basically, don't. It causes far too many headaches when you want to show the movie to other people.

I have used some clips of some songs from the "WINTALKERS" soundtrack and was wondering if that will be a problem when sending it to some festivals or contests.

Probably. Just take them out and find a composer who'll produce original music for your movie instead: and make sure you get a release form from the composer to give you permission to use it.

Well the problem is, i am only 17, and to get some kind of composer that could reproduce something that sounds the same, is not something that i could afford at this point. Is it possible to ask the distributer for permission?
________
Chiquita

Last edited:
You can, but odds are good they'll want a lot of money for it.

I think you'll be surprised at how easy it is to find a composer who'll do music for free, if the movie is any good: it's a good chance for them to get some exposure as well as you.

I suggest googling Music Clearance...
I used Evan M. Greenspan, INC. They were good & gave me a decent rate... though I didn't use their full services.

Derek,
How did you go as to get permision to use music for your short "Dual"? Or did you just use it?
________
FlirtyJuly

Last edited:
I used clearance.com
which is the website for Evan M. Greenspan, INC. (a music clearance company)

For a small fee they provided me with the contact information for the owners of the synch rights to the music.

Then I contacted the owners and worked out a student rate... as that was one of my last student films, it was still elligible for a student rate.

After about four months... only the last two to three weeks of which I actually "WORKED" on getting my rights... the 1 year festival license was secured.

So, yes... I do own the rights to use "Bang Bang" in "THE DUEL" for the course of 1 year's time... through the end of next september. It did cost me... but not as bad as many would think.

If you wish to get more detailed information... please e-mail me... my e-mail address is provided in my profile.

If I get enough mail about this... I will just create a thread in a forum...
but for now, I will answer everyone's e-mail individually (or in groups).

Happy clearing!

DerekEastham said:
For a small fee they provided me with the contact information for the owners of the synch rights to the music.

Then I contacted the owners and worked out a student rate... as that was one of my last student films, it was still elligible for a student rate.

Could you give an estimate of how much you spent to use it?

As I said before...
if you want more/specific information... please e-mail me (or PM me).

Thanks.

Network Sponsors

Back