consistent filmmakers

director15

hi I was just wandering some filmmakers that the rest of you find their work consistently interesting?
For me I would say Oliver Stone, Ron Howard, Francis Coppola, and Clint Eastwood.
What do you think?
Who do you find to be consistently interesting?

The only one off of your list I would agree with is Clint. Past that I don't think that any director is consistently anything... If they were then we would have no chance

Goddard, Truffaut, Von Trier, Bergman, Kieslowski, Sven Nykvist, Conrad Hall, Vittorio Storaro, FF Coppola... I think that nobody's work is consistently earth shatteringly great, but these are a few of my favorite filmmakers.

cybersarge said:
Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez are relativly consistant I've found.

Because they are consistently making homage films

Never said they didn't. Just meant that there films where constantly of a high standard, homage or not, they're still excellent films to watch, artistically, storywise, and character wise.

pharpsied said:
The only one off of your list I would agree with is Clint. Past that I don't think that any director is consistently anything... If they were then we would have no chance
Howard may have been going out on a limb, but I love all of Stone's films.

This forum is awsome

This forum is awsome

I have found more information here than i got in a year at film school or any other site. I love the magazine too!~ you guys are great.

IDK I still say Stone and also Sergio Leone. I've also seen a few Robert Rodriguez films that I'd never seen before and now I'd have to say that I agree with him.

Todd Haynes, Tarantino, Oliver Stone, Scorsese, Vincent Gallo. Michael Moore makes interesting stuff. His projects always envoke some kind of reaction from audiences no matter if those reactions are in favor of his movies or not in favor of them.

bruce willis as an actor is superb if i do say so myself he cann adapt to so many roles and i think that you can sense the passion in every role he plays

the same with johnny depp

michael bay and tim burton are some of the best directors of this time however i do appreciate that scorsesse and tarintino are legends at what they do

in my opinion, the directors who are too completely consistent are the ones who are not interesting. Those who try something different every once in awhile interest me.

In the Golden Age of movies, consistency was a good thing, but today, one needs to be innovative to hold attention. So, though I may not like all their films, directors like Kevin Smith (yes, he is trying different things now), Robert Rodriguez (Spy Kids anyone?) and the Coen Brothers (all their movies are different in some way, agreed?) are the ones who hold my interest.

As far as someone like Scorcese: Well, the man's arguably a filmmaking genius, but he's consistent. He makes the same, or similar, movies. This works for him, so consistency is not necessarily equal to good.

Hi, It would have to be David Cronenberg for me. Spider was a master piece. I hope to make something as amazing as that some day. Oh David Lynch too. Tim Burton, Stanly Kubrick. Ha thought I only had a few faves, its always the same, The Coen Brothers too. Orson Welles.

Last edited:
I do not like QT or Michael Bay.

I saw Oliver Stone's "W" when it was released last weekend and loved it.
So I'd say Stone. Scorsese, Leone, and Rodriguez are consistent.

Network Sponsors

Back