CLOSER

Kim Welch

Staff member
I watched the movie CLOSER with Julia Roberts, Jude Law, Natelie Portman and Clive Owen. The director of photography is Sephen Goldblatt, ASC, BSC.

I liked this movie and I give it a midnight thumbs up. (this mean it's worth staying up late to watch even on a work/school night.)

I am watching it again tonight and going back over the scenes and how the story is told with more of the kind of thinking Roy talks about and from what saw on teh set in Hollywood.

The music is su a good match. There is a cut an dryness in teh editing and in the acting. It really brought out emoition and touched me with the way the characters moved from lover to lover. I don't want to ruin the movie. great movie.

Starts out in slow motion

Starts out in slow motion

I like how the opening scene is done in slow motion of a crowd of people walking in the city in London. And, in the crowd Natalie is walking in one direction towards Jude Law and Jude law is walking the opposit direction towards Natalie Portman. They are making eye contact and the singer is singing the words "...I can't take my eyes off of you" Natalie is beautiful.

Re: Starts out in slow motion

Re: Starts out in slow motion

KimWelch said:
Natalie is beautiful.
You broke a major rule of movie reviewing, you've professed your love for one of the actors...now we can't take the review seriously.
...I think she's pretty cute too :lol:

not in love

not in love

I did not say I was in love with her or anything like that. She just looked very much alive, happy and all. At the end of the movie she had the hardened look.

I watched the film last night, and I must say, I'm split on it.

I loved the visuals. And the idea that it was so beautifully lit, juxtaposed with the conversation that Alice has with Larry at Anna's opening, was well done.

The more I think about it, the more I think the film was fairly decent. It was not at all what I expected from this film. The dialouge was very graphic, but it's how people talk about things like that, especially when they're hurting. There was something that made this movie ok, rather than great. I'm thinking it was the characters. They just didn't do it for me. The just would not learn their lessons.

I guess that's the way it's supposed to be, or maybe I was just in the wrong mood for this last night (i think I was expecting a thriller/noir type thing).

However, Clive Owen definitely showed a much different side of his acting abilities, which I thought was great. Julia Roberts...well, I just never have really liked her anyway (as an actress, not a person). And Natalie Portman did it for me in Garden State, so seeing her as a stripper here was....umm...interesting.

Overall, it was ok, maybe worth a second look.

Think about what it is trying to tell you.

Think about what it is trying to tell you.

This is not just a story of 4 lovers. It is THE story of what happens to singles after a certain length of time "playing the field". Your circle of friends revolves around itself and eventually you'll start back at the beginning.

At the end, the film took a very existential turn. This is the philosophy that most, if not all famous people have. Learn what existentialism is and then rewatch this movie along with I Heart Huckabees and you'll be able to read deeper into anything; all you have to do is pay attention to what "they" are telling you.

One of my favorite films.

The first time I watched it, I knew immediately that I was in for a different moviegoing experience. The film itself just contains so much of an edge and is so stylized. It was chic, provocative...but most simply...real.

It also packs sooo many questions and there's symbolism that could be drawn out from some of the most seemingly insignificant details.

But I think what really grabbed me at first, was the dialogue. The thought of adapting a play for the screen and keeping that stage tone is so refreshing! So many of my favorite lines are from this film and the delivery was just brilliant.

"Because I'm a f***ing CAVEMAN!"

So good.

; )

Network Sponsors

Back