Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Blackmagic

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Sony

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters
I use a Sony A7s with canon/tamron stabilzed primes and an a6000 with sony/sigma primes for aerial footage, and then add in an A7Rii with zooms fast zooms and various MF lenses from Voigtlander, Samyang, Olympus and Minolta as a B-Cam for everything else. I used to use Canon DSLR/Mirrorless, Larger Sony's and JVC, but I like the mix of portability, quality footage, high dynamic range and low-light abilities of the Sony Cameras. They balance out my needs more while being less intimidating on interviews where a larger camera is overkill anyways.

I also use Sony 4k action cams when light-weight/tiny cameras are needed instead of Go-Pros for external (Car/Dash/Aircraft/Helmet) footage. I like the picture quality better and there are shots where even an a6000 with a pancake prime is too big.

I feel Alexa is the most filmic looking electronic camera at the moment though I have gotten very beautiful images with the Canon C series cameras and have just tested the new Panasonic Varicam LT with beautiful results. Sonys are consistently good as well. I own the BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera and the Monochrome Digital Bolex each outfitted with Hot Rod Cameras PL mounts by Illya Friedman. The Pocket is great because it is small even with the ViewFactor cage and PL mount and the Monochrome Digital Bolex is amazing with its beautiful black and white images as I have always wanted a b&w hd camera. The Digital Bolex does b&w flawlessly in uncompressed 2K and is small and tough enough to take anywhere as the whole system with lenses fits in a backpack, a combination hard to beat. The color Digital Bolex is very nice too with a look that reminds me of my favorite film, Kodachrome 25.

I own a couple of Red Epic Dragons and a Scarlet...plus a Sony a7r-2...I still own a couple of 35mm Mitchell's, a Moviecam Compact, an Arri 35-3, etc...
I really like the look I achieve with my Epic's...but it's more about how you set the LUT and what glass you put in front of these cameras...I'm all about the glass :)
To me, a film guy, digital images are very stark and sterile...that's why I like to use vintage Cooke Speed Panchros and Super Baltar lenses.
Zoom wise, the Cooke 18-100mm T3 is one of the BEST zooms ever built...but I know this thread is camera based.
Alexa's are wonderful, I use the Phantom cameras a lot...I dislike the panning "jitters" of most of the DSLRs as well as the BMPC...I bought them, used them, hated the jitters, and sold them off.,
Cheers,
Jeff Barklage, s.o.c.

We do not own cameras. Cameras tend to change too quickly today to buy them. The cameras we use vary from project to project. it might be a music video with 20 GoPros, and an Amira or a producer wants a specific camera - If we feel we cannot do the job with the camera that has been chosen, we voice our objections and we are either listened to or we decline the gig. What we do own is glass.

I was determined to buy a Sony F5, but I had the opportunity to shoot a documentary with Canon C300, not had more doubts, I purchased a Canon C500 ...

Network Sponsors

Back