Camera sound

Bryant Falk

Here are the two advantages these days of dropping sound to a DAT machine.

1. You shouldn't just drop to the tape machine! You should send signal to both the camera and the separate deck, thus creating an instant backup of your audio.

2. With a separate setup you don't have to have the sound man on top of your camera operator trying to make sure the audio is printing clean! Trust me I've tried this on a number of shoots and the director and cameraman give you about 7 seconds to check if audio is printing before they want you the hell away from them as they shoot the scene.

When a film is being made most people are focussed on what they see not what they hear. So if there is a sound man tucked away somewhere carefully preserving as much as possible. It will pay off afterwards. If he has a centercode time DAT so it can sync with your video then it's really great!

Yeah, those points are definitely worth considering. Since I normally have to record sound and edit the movie, I prefer to record on the camera and live with the hassle of following it around with cables rather than sync everything manually :).

Network Sponsors

Back