Camera Direction and Action Sequences

R

Rumour

I have been told that giving camera direction in a script is not a good thing, that the director/cinematographer should be making these decisions. In what situations would some direction be appropriate?

On another note I am having trouble writing action sequences. I have some really good ideas, but am not sure how much detail I am supposed to use. Should I describe every gunshot and the crazed look on the shooter's face? Maybe someone could post some of there work to help me out?

Some writers write action differently depending on their style. Some write out every punch and detail while others might write "they fight". Keep in mind that about 1 page is 1 minute of screen time so if you have a set time you want your action sequence to be you might want to write that many pages, however much (or little) detail that needs.

I usually write some camera stuff in my scripts because a) they're key moments and b) I'm directing so it's usually a reminder to me. If you're writing for someone else to direct you should leave out stuff like that though and give them full creative reign.

Network Sponsors

Back