buying a video camera...help plz

rayloyd

I need some good online places to purchase a video camera. I am looking to get a canon gl2. Im hoping for a reasonable price but I dont wanna get ripped off. I have looked at sites that offer the camera cheap (like CCI) then found out that these sites scam people. So if anyone can help me out with a good place to get a gl2 for a reasonable price without the hassle, please do.

thank you

this would probobly be more accurately posted under Camera. But that aside.

If you want a GL2, and don't want to get scammed, you have to pay the price. Its a pretty overpriced camera though. The AG-DVC30 is in my opinion much better, and much cheaper at about 1,700 or 1,800. Basically, my only advice, don't buy a camera used, or from a gray market site (aka where its cheap). You want it to last, you want a warranty. There just aren't a lot of "deals" out there where you'll gete more than a $100 difference in price. Maybe not even that.. Sorry if this was unhelpful.

thank you for your response, yeah i figured i would just have to pay the price, if there are any other suggestions for other models similar to the gl2 but a little cheaper, that would be great too.

I am not really up on camera prices. But a few suggestions to look up might be:

AG-DVC30 (or DVC20, DVC15, DVC10)
Panasonic PV400
Sony VX2100
Sony PDX10

Those are the ones I can think up off the top of my head. prosumer.

Make sure to check places like CNET.com to read editors' reviews and users' reviews of various cameras. I think you will find it useful.

Camera

Camera

As far as a camera, I used a GL1 for years to do instructional and documentary projects and I was very satisfied with the picture but hated not having sound controls--which the GL2 now has. A new GL2 is going for $1,950 and they even show a used one for $1,650 I have not used any of the other cameras suggested in previous posts but it is hard to beat the picture quality that you will get with the GL2. Good luck. JimT

Last edited by a moderator:
camera

camera

is the Panasonic GS35 a 24p camera? i don't think it is but if so that is an amazing price

24p

24p

i figured it was not for $300 but in reference to your $3500 i have to say--huh? there are plenty of 24p for around $2000 or less (especially used)

whoa what? which camera has 24p for under 2000?
i always thought the dvx100 were one of the cheapest 24p cameras. and they run around 3k+

i figured it was not for $300 but in reference to your $3500 i have to say--huh? there are plenty of 24p for around $2000 or less (especially used)

Plenty? Please do tell...

camera

camera

simply go to ebay and type in 24p or 24 frames per second and edit the search down to camcorders on the side bar...
or go to www.craigslist.com and spend an afternoon looking for cameras in hot spots like NY LA Boston, etc
I know for sure there is a GL1 in the NY craigslist for $750, i emailed her last week about it.

simply go to ebay and type in 24p or 24 frames per second and edit the search down to camcorders on the side bar...
or go to www.craigslist.com and spend an afternoon looking for cameras in hot spots like NY LA Boston, etc
I know for sure there is a GL1 in the NY craigslist for $750, i emailed her last week about it.

1. I missed the words "especially used" in your previous post... I thought post read "there are plenty of 24p for around $2000 or less"...
2. The canon Gl1 is not a 24p camera.
3. I would recommend against buying something that expensive used since you don't know how it has been treated or how long it has been in use necessarily. You want it to last, and it would be far more expensive to have to get it repaired or something than just paying a little more upfront for a really solid camera. Warranty's are handy, but it would still be troublesome to have to mail the camcorder in for repair if it needed it. Basically its good to know the history of your camera. Obviously, price sometimes dictates, but just be careful buying used.
4. The fact that the camera has 24p should not probobly be the decisive factor in whether or not hte camera is meant for you. there are many other things to take into consideration.

so for my own clarification. One of or the most cheapest 24p camera is the dvx100 right? (more or less the common price around it)

sorry

sorry

sorry for the confusion on the gl1, i really thought it was a 24p camera, is the gl2??? could we generate a short list of 5 or 6 cameras that are relatively inexpensive.

the Gl2 isnt a 24p camera either. nor is the VX2100 (or any model under it) or the dvc30. (which all run around the same price range , 2000 USD)
to my understanding nothing under this price range has 24p capabilities. None of the consumer camcorders have it.
The only 24p cameras i know of are the panasonic DVX100 , A, B, and the canon XL2. im not sure which other cameras have 24p

check out zoomania they have the dvx 100b for 1949.99 and i have experience with it and i think it shoots beautiful images.

Canon is introducing the first consumer HDV 24p camera. It's 1100. The HV10 and HV20. Although they lack many other features... if you want 24p and HDV cheap. Canon is kind of amazing right now

Network Sponsors

Back