Budget Documentary Camera

thehitpack

I have a budget of $1500. I am self financing a documentary idea that i have, mainly landscapes in France and old buildings mixed in with narration etc.

So i'm looking for a camera that would be able to photograph wide landscape shots and closer scenes that take in detail and smaller elements.

There would be extensive filming probably more than i actually need for editing later.

I would also be conducting a few interviews so a camera with good sound capabilities or the next best alternative and also equipment that i would need.

Is it possible to get a camera and equipment on a budget to create a worthy documentary or is a high end camera needed i don't really want to go for a camcorder as the image quality suffers...

It is a bit difficult to have equipment for all that you wish to shoot for $1500. But it's not impossible! You could try looking for second-hand equipment which would allow you to find good gear for a lower budget.
First, you need a camera. Second, you need compatible lens for your camera. The cheapest version you can get (but you don't have many focal points and you have to learn to set it up and work around its flaws and limitations) is with a Sony A6.
You would need a 16 mm lens for the landscapes, buildings and wide angles.
You would need a 50 mm lens for portraits and close-ups. You can buy an a macro adaptor for those lens, too. That, of course, if you cannot afford macro lens. The 50 mm lens can help you with the interviews, too.
You can try the Sigma lens, they are pretty good and affordable. They also work good with the Sony A6.
You would need a microphone as well. The cheapest version is to get a Rode Smart Lav+ (around $56) and connect it to your smartphone. You record your audio separately from the video. You will need some type of lavalier and this is the cheapest method to get a good quality sound. You will have to sync the sound in post-edit.
You will also need a tripod for the interviews. The tripod is around $50.
You might also need a ringlight for the interviews. Or make the most out of natural light. :)
Good luck!

Thank you so much for the reply. Could you recommend a few other cameras at a push i can go for 2000 for a camera excluding accessories. I would probably get it on buy now pay later and the site i use tends to favour canons rather than sony's.

Do you have a few other camera yo could recommend for that price please?

I have tried Nikon, Canon and Sony in the past 10 years and lately, I am very happy with the Sony :) I am not updated with the latest Canon lens and accessories for this reason. From my experience, Nikon has the best menu, but Canon has the best lens (but you have to be very good at setting everything manually).
Unlike the other two, Sony is not a DSLR, but a mirrorless camera. Sony A6 is the entry-camera and the cheapest one. The camera of my choice is Sony A7 III, but it is out of your budget :)
The camera from the link comes with a lens as well, its price should be around 340 pounds without the lens. The Canon camera that you have found seems like a good alternative as well. :) In the end, it's best to find what works for you.
I don't know if the lens I recommended you work with the Canon as well though. You will have to check if the mount is the same or not.

CANON EOS C100 MARK 2​

Is this video camera suitable for my needs. I get so much conflicting information. I'm constantly seeing mirrorless cameras and DSLR and then other people recommend Video Cameras such as the one listed above. Stills aren't my thing so the video camera would probably be best...

It is cheaper to get a photo camera and you can also use it to take photos.
If you want to go for a video camera, you can get a Blackmagic pocket for $2k but you will need lens, tripod and microphone for it too and it gets out of the budget.

I am confused - you are looking for a camera to film videos or to take photos as well? You said you want to "photgograph wide landscape" and later on this post, you said you are considering whether to go for a video or a photo camera.

I only need it to take record film and make a documentary and a possible horror film .Sorry i wasn't clearer.

The EOS MARK 2 i listed above looks affordable..

Network Sponsors

Back