Best way to get coverage on this scene

R

razerfish

I have another scene I need to shoot and am puzzling over where to put the cameras.

The scene involves two actors doing their scene, then at intervals, the diretor, standing just off camera, calls cut and enters the scene from below.

Here's a diagram.

Male Actor Female Actor

----------------------------------------- everything below is off camera.
Director

When the director enters the frame, I want to put the camera north of the male and female actors so I can see his face when he's approaching. But this worries me because each time he enters I have to cross the axis line and then cross back when he leaves. If I decide not to put the camera there, I don't get great coverage on his face, but I don't have to worry about crossing the axis line.

Any advice?

The simple answer, if you're looking at the two actors, is probably to then cut to a reverse shot showing the director walking in, and then reposition the camera to one side for any individual shots of director and actors. You'll have a new line then between the director at the bottom of your diagram and the two actors at the top.

Not sure I follow. Can you do a diagram? Is there any way to attach diagrams with this software?

Camera Position

Camera Position

I think MarkG is suggesting the following:

"Cut and place camera at "C". Then change the angle to C - D."

C
Camera

A B
Male Actor Female Actor

E
Camera

-------------------------------- (off camera)

D
Director

Another option might be to track and pan the director with Camera "E", a handheld homemade steadicam. Check out www.homebuiltstabilizers.com . Great homebuilt equipment for the indie filmmaker.

Later.

I don't see anythng wrong with "crossing the axis" in this situation. The first shot of the Actors is actually POV the Director. The subsequent shot could be POV the Actors as he approaches and speaks. Or you could do it over the shoulder of the Actors. If the Actors are facing each other, all the better. You the see his face and at least the sides of their faces. The "axis" is actually a line drawn from the center of the lens, not at right angles to it and you can shoot anywhere along that line on either the left or right of it, but not Both left and right. If the Director was always in the shot in front of the camera, you wouldn't hesitate to shoot from the reverse side to get coverage. I think it's the fact that he's off camera has you flummoxed.

Network Sponsors

Back