Best miniDV camera for $1,000?

smcockey

Hi everyone. I just discovered the board recently, and have really enjoyed reading all of your comments and advice!

Anyway, I'm a student filmmaker, am looking to buy my first camera, and have about $1,000 to spend. I'm looking for miniDV, as that's what I've used in school and am most familiar with. I used the Canon GL2 at school, but at over $2,000, it is out of my budget. If anyone has any suggestions as to my best options for around $1,000, I'd really appreciate the advice. Thanks so much!

Not an easy one. Indie/student cameras are in the $2000 (DVX) to $8000 (HVX) range.

Whatever you use, make sure it has the most basic tools that enable you to control your pictures - and not have the camera control your movie - manual focus ring (not buttons), manual exposure, and an external microphone input.

Panasonic PV-GS400 has all these, plus 3CCD and 16:9, for $850. Also look into Cannon HV20 and Sony HDR-UX1.

But really, do you need to spend all that money to own your own camera? That's what school is for! Befriend whoever runs things there, and exploit (I mean, use :) ) it to learn.
Use the money for production neccesities, like renting a van, or buying food for your crew. If you make good movies, and feed your crew well, you'll soon have guys owning these $3000-cameras wanting to work for you.

Thanks so much binba. I'd gladly use the college's equipment, but they don't hand it out over the summer, so I'm kind of stuck until the fall.

I've looked a lot at the Panasonic GS 400, and really like it a lot. But every time I've seen it, it goes for $1200-$1400. If I could find one for $850, I'd jump on it. Any ideas?

Network Sponsors

Back