best for $1000

cloud7us

Im just finishing High School and want to upgrade from my few year old sony handy cam i got about $1500 - $2000 i have a nice computer with adobe premier and after effects

You may have limited options with an XL1 when it comes to the flexibility of being able to use different lenses. The XL1 isn't too giving in this area. However, it does produce a good picture and you will be able to get all of those nice bells and whistles that come with cameras that are of a higher caliber than the standard Sony Handycams.

The Panasonic DVX100 is also a good camera to use and has received a lot of good reviews from users/filmmakers and experts alike. You may be able to get a used Panasonic DVX100 camera for a little under $2,000. That will depend on where you buy it from.
Panasonic also makes the DVC20 model which is around $1,500 for a new one. However, the Panasonic DVC20 is larger in size than the DVX100. While it is lightweight, you may not want to be lugging a big horse-of-a-camera around when shooting in uncomfortable weather conditions, or even after working on a production all day long.

You will be able to get a nice camera in your price range, but it would be helpful to also figure out what kind of format you want to use. MiniDV? Hard disk? DVD? HD? The choices are wide and depending on your chosen format, the camera may be inexpensive or cost you upward of $2,000. I have a friend who purchased an HD camera for well under $2,000 but the options vary so much from product to product that it would be helpful to read some magazine reviews or users reviews before purchasing one of them.

Network Sponsors

Back