best Camera for $5000

Lil Ike

Hi I'm trying to make my first short film and I want it to be perfect. I've been saving my money and now I'm ready to buy my first camera and I want the best camera for under $5000 please let me know what to buy. and I'm very open to any other advice that you may have on making my first short film.

the Canon XL2 is a very good camera for under $5000. In fact, it's what i'm saving for.

I have to tell you, i've made a few short films and it's alot to shoot for to try to make your first one perfect. if this particular film or story is really important to you, i would wait to make it and try to get some experience first. when you're just starting out, not every movie you make is going to be good, and that's okay. but if you really want it to be good, wait till you've made a few short films before making this one.

hope this helps!

krillianred said:
if you have 5K to spend, i suggest you get the xl-h1 from canon. $3K

does 24p decently. and its HD.

No, no, no, The H1 is like 9,000 dollars... I think you mean the A1! Any cheaper on the H1 (lower than 7-10,000 USD) is a gray market scam!

Which one did you get?

Which one did you get?

Did you get a camera? Which one? I am also looking for a camera. I can do 5000 but if it is really worth it for more and better features i can go up to 10000 or 12000

Is everyone forgetting about the HVX200? You can score one for 4,999 and it's the greatest camera ever made. Shoots in 60p for those who get off on that kinda thing. Looks great in the dark and comes with P2 cards so you can pop them right into your lap top and start editing. The HVX200 seems to be the easy one to work with, plus Berry Green wrote a book and has DVDs on how to work the thing. A lot of great stuff! Look it up!

-Neil

The HVX is also HD... The XL2 looks like crap in low light. You can't buy lenses for the HVX without getting an adapter like a Redrock or Letus, but you can cheat DoF pretty easy.

DoF - Depth of Field.

If you have $5000 to spend, why not buy a cheaper around $690 camera and a tripod, maybe a good editing program? Wouldn't that be better in the long run? Plus you'd have some money left over to use to buy props for future film projects.

I personally would say if your budget calls for a 5k camera, don't get one.

Instead, get a somewhat cheaper camera and invest in a good sound setup and if you can afford it, some lights, an editing program, etc.

Making a good film does not mean you need a high end camera. After all, a camera is just a tool you use. There are some really good films out there made on real low end consumer based cameras or prosumer based cameras. If I remember correctly, the movie Open Water was shot primarily on Sony VX2100's (can be bought for about a $2000).

Work on preproduction planning until you know your absolutely ready. Then go out and film and most importantly, have fun! :)

Join the Rebellion

Join the Rebellion

I agree with some of the other members that a fancy-pants camera isn't everything. It's just a tool, as stated earlier. However, if I were you, that wouldn't stop me from buying a nice camera. I love cameras btw.

Best one under $5,000? Easy question. RED Scarlet!!! ...don't know if was mentioned previously or not. I was too lazy to read them all...

Why Scarlet? Well, the primary reason is image quality. It's $3,000, so it's not nearly has expensive as the HVX or EX1 (other popular choices). However, it has better resolution than Sony's premiere camera of its CineAlta series, the Sony F35, which goes for $250,000. Hmmm, that's a hard choice: $250,000 or $3,000. I'm not saying that the Scarlet is better than the F35 in every way, but it sure is a good camera. I shoots in RAW 3K footage. That's what we call, "Ultra High Definition". The Scarlet is THE best camera under $17,499. I would say a lot higher, but the RED One is $17,500... The Scarlet also incorporates a 2/3" Mysterium X sensor, which is supposed to give it a similar depth of field as 2/3" ENG cameras.

The Scarlet is a, "Pocket professional camera". Not Consumer. Not even prosumer...professional.

---but it's not available yet :(

I agree with some of the other members that a fancy-pants camera isn't everything. It's just a tool, as stated earlier. However, if I were you, that wouldn't stop me from buying a nice camera. I love cameras btw.

Best one under $5,000? Easy question. RED Scarlet!!! ...don't know if was mentioned previously or not. I was too lazy to read them all...

Why Scarlet? Well, the primary reason is image quality. It's $3,000, so it's not nearly has expensive as the HVX or EX1 (other popular choices). However, it has better resolution than Sony's premiere camera of its CineAlta series, the Sony F35, which goes for $250,000. Hmmm, that's a hard choice: $250,000 or $3,000. I'm not saying that the Scarlet is better than the F35 in every way, but it sure is a good camera. I shoots in RAW 3K footage. That's what we call, "Ultra High Definition". The Scarlet is THE best camera under $17,499. I would say a lot higher, but the RED One is $17,500... The Scarlet also incorporates a 2/3" Mysterium X sensor, which is supposed to give it a similar depth of field as 2/3" ENG cameras.

The Scarlet is a, "Pocket professional camera". Not Consumer. Not even prosumer...professional.

---but it's not available yet :(

I agree, Im waiting for Scarlet as well, but it will take a while... wont be released till 2009 and then the issue of getting it since they will probably sell out like crazy so good luck getting it... Also 3000 is just for the camera itself with all needed accessories it will probably be more like 5000 so still in your range... But that leaves you no money for lights boom mic and other needed accessories, but i guess these can be rented out when you actually start shooting... I want to shoot a short soon as well and i think i`ll just do rental for now till the next year when scarlet comes out... :)

Network Sponsors

Back