Backlights

G

This question is for anyone, but i'v noticed a lot of backlights and kickers are slightly cooler than the key and I really like the look of it. It makes sense near a window but I've seen it else where too. Is it really cooler or is it the angle of reflection and the fact its usually a stop hotter. If it is cooler is it as much as 1/4 ctb or 1/8? I know it depends on the movie and style of course. Examples include Courage Under Fire... it looked really good on Washington's dark skin. Die Hard 4- look really hot almost blownout at times. Let me know if anyone has any information on this. It has always intrigued me and I could never tell exactly what it was.

Yeah I've noticed that, too. I think it's partly because of the angle the backlight hits the object, but it's the color, too. I've seen several scenes in films, that are set in an interior and lit by tungsten sources only which, of course, give the image a slightly warm feeling. Still, the backlight seems to be cooler - not blue, just cooler -> it appears to be white in contrast to the warm environement.
So what I tried on my last project, was to backlight the object with sources gelled with 1/4 ctb. It worked pretty well and I got what I was aiming for. I hope I could help you,

Greetz
Oliver[/img]

That is pretty cool I never really noticed that but now i'm dying to try it. I'm going to get some CTB right now 1/4 blue for my backlights. I wanna try this out with some soft focus tricks like that black panty hose trick i've seen.
________
HotChezzy_cute cam

Last edited:

Network Sponsors

Back