back lens filter technique

:?: Excuse my fair englis but. I'm looking for a good and clear information about filtering image throug nylon or others similar product by placing them on the back of the lens.....
For sure i know that technics was done in the past by great hollywoodian cinematographers but if someone can tell me some general information about that I will be happy
please give me some application in relation with the net or kind of stuff used.
Thaks
Gabriel Rochette
Québec Canada
Lighting tech

Usually it's a very fine "utra sheer" pantyhose / stocking, usually black. Dior and Fogal are popular brands to use, the sheerest you can find. You stretch it over the back of the lens. Some video lenses have room for a rubber ring to hold the net in place but often you have to use something like "snot tape" to hold it in place (don't use anything permanent.) "Snot tape" is a product that leaves a sticky gunk when you peel off the paper backing. After stretching and sticking it in place, you trim off the excess netting with some scissors.

The fact that the net has to be fixed to the back makes it difficult to put it on and off quickly, so if you need unnetted shots, you may want an extra set of lenses.

thank you for your explication. I think the technique is also effective in the front of the lens when the camera like sony pd-150 for exemple is a fixe lens. true or false ? I have take note of the suggested brand of pantyhose.
Thanks
Gabriel Rochette

Network Sponsors

Back