Audio Rates for HD

Jmcpanther

I'm looking to shoot on a 24p HD Cam. I've heard that on most of these cameras, the audio still comes in at 30p. Is this correct, and if so, what does that really mean? Do you adjust for that on set? In post? Is it possible to come out with a high quality project with this?

Well, a friend of mine has one switchable between 24/25/30.

By the way, when you shoot 24 frames per second, it's usually best to actually shoot at 23.98P, so you don't have problems downconverting and keeping sound in sync.

Audio and 24p HD

Audio and 24p HD

Having just finished a project and consulting with Sound One in Manhattan. Once you are shooting in a digital format and pulling sound into your camera during the shoot, the rate your shooting at becomes moot for the audio. The audio in a digital camera will always remain constant as it does not have the same mechanical issues anymore. Audio in vid cameras have a few options. These are 12bit/16bit, 32Khz, 44.1Khz, and 48Khz. The standard settings for recording audio in any digital camera wether your shooting 24p or 30 is 16bit-48Khz. These settings don't change as you adjust your frame rate. this is a beautiful thing as we no longer have to push or pull the audio for syncing back to picture.

Network Sponsors

Back