Attaching Talent

Jared Isham

I am about to try attaching some tallent to my film. I am currently practicing my pitch but was curious of who the better person to contact would be - the manager or the agent.

My approach will be to get the manager/agent as excited about the project as I am to the point where they will try their hardest to get their talent to read the script.

Suggestions would be helpful - as this might help in securing distribution and funding.

my suggestion would be to go through the manager and find out if the talent in question has any projects coming up. keep in mind, the agent is only interested in making money. if money is not already attached to the project in some manner, most agents will pass on the script. however, in the end, the agent is going to be the only way to the talent. at some point, the agent is going to make the decision.

If you want name talent there is a heirarchy you need to go through.

#1 - Contact their agent. Do not tellt hem too much in this first contact, just bait them... make them want to find out more to decide if their client would be interested or benefit from the production.

#2 - If they write back asking you to submit something for their review... send them something more. A good description of the project, what you have in mind for the talent... HOWEVER, DO NOT SEND A SCRIPT in this stage... it's still too-much too soon.

#3 - If contact continues...then submit a script at the agent's request.

#4 - This is upto the agent, but you might just find yourself meeting with the agent over the phone or in person and who knows, you might even find yourself sitting with the client sooner than you think.

Agent or Manager

Agent or Manager

The rule of thumb is basically go to whoever you can get to the easiest, and it also couldn't hurt to go to both simultaneously.

I used to work at William Morris agency and people just get in however they can. Also keep in mind that if you take it to a big agency, and they like your script, they will see it as a 'packaging' opportunity to attach several of their talent.

Any other questions, let me know. And good luck with the process!

Stacey

i've talked to ppl who have had better luck going straight to the talent. (these obviously aren't studio types but more on the low budget end - like me ;D Someone mentioned the agent only wanting to make money which is true, but there've been a lot of examples recently of top talent working on real low budget projects to explore new material. If the talent likes the idea/pitch, s/he'll make it happen..hehe, at least in theory, i've never done it!!!

Network Sponsors

Back