Are movie awards right?

moviefan

Hello and happy new year everyone :)

What I mean with the title is that, movies are awarded (with an Oscar, Cannes awarads, etc.) for being "good" in a particular field, right (whether it's the camerawork, the photography, the actors, etc.)? But does that make sense, as there are no clear, objective criteria as to what makes a movie a good movie or a movie that is better than another? What is a good actor after all? Isn't this all a matter of taste? And if it is all so subjective, why award movies at all?

Last edited:
No

No

so many excellent movies are out there that never won or win an award for whatever reason but it is such an honor and surely some indicator that the film is good if it won an award. Usually an award of the kind you mentioned is really good.

so many excellent movies are out there that never won or win an award for whatever reason but it is such an honor and surely some indicator that the film is good if it won an award. Usually an award of the kind you mentioned is really good.

But if the criteria that make a movie a good movie are totally subjective, how can an award be an indicator that the film is good? I mean, if it's a matter of taste, the chances are high that somebody else says a movie is good, but when you watch it you personally turn out to dislike it, aren't they?

does that make sense, as there are no clear, objective criteria as to what makes a movie a good movie or a movie that is better than another?

The nominees are chosen by people in the film industry and the awards are given by an academy of their peers.

Among the current professional film industry, there is very clear criteria as to what is "good." It has been learnt and passed on, developed and changed in a century of cinema.

You are both wrong

You are both wrong

You are both wrong. The movies that win these kinds of awards are very good movies. Do you have a movie that you feel got wronged or that was selected that is not good? Stop wasting time trying to find something wrong and do something right and go make a movie. Make a movie about a great movie maker that is overlooked by the EVIL judges at your favorite award to hate.

Last edited:
The nominees are chosen by people in the film industry and the awards are given by an academy of their peers.

Among the current professional film industry, there is very clear criteria as to what is "good." It has been learnt and passed on, developed and changed in a century of cinema.

And could you please tell me then what those criteria are? And why is it that when a movie fulfills these criteria, it is considered "good"? Do you agree with these criteria?

You are both wrong. The movies that win these kinds of awards are very good movies. Do you have a movie that you feel got wronged or that was selected that is not good? Stop wasting time trying to find something wrong and do something right and go make a movie. Make a movie about a great movie maker that is overlooked by the EVIL judges at your favorite award to hate.

You seem to be getting quite defensive here and i honestly don't understand why that is. I am just trying to peacefully discuss something, but never have i called the judges evil or anything like it... I appreciate that you spend the time to voice your opinion in my thread though, I'd just like you to back up your view with some arguments, please. What is a good movie to you? If you consider any movie you like "good", do you think that all the movies you find good, are considered good by everybody in the world? And if it they aren't, do you then believe that your criteria of goodness are more right than that of those who don't like the movies you like?

Thank you

Thank you

thank you for sharing. I am not defensive. I have my opinion and that's all. Sorry if it offends you or makes you think i am defensive. i am used to it. Besides i can always delete your posts if i really thought they were not good for the community. And, further, I don't really care if you think i am right or wrong or ... I know i am a good person and i know I'm right. :) In regards to your post from the perspective of making your movie I just don't get it i guess. why do you want to know what anyone else s criteria for a good movie is? You are not going to focus on catering to these people and the taste they have are you? Also, I would think that it is common sense that each person is going to have their own criteria but that the basic end with people who love and work in the industry is that they will determine what a good movies there are and which are the top movies and well worth watching. And, i just feel you are looking for a conspiracy with these kinds of posts.

"But does that make sense, as there are no clear, objective criteria as to what makes a movie a good movie or a movie that is better than another? "

Of course it makes sense. Watch one of the winning movies and then open up NetFlix and watch one of the three star movies. Notice the difference!?

Last edited:
thank you for sharing. I am not defensive. I have my opinion and that's all. Sorry if it offends you or makes you think i am defensive. i am used to it. Besides i can always delete your posts if i really thought they were not good for the community. And, further, I don't really care if you think i am right or wrong or ... I know i am a good person and i know I'm right. :)

Alright. I'm not offended. ;)

In regards to your post from the perspective of making your movie I just don't get it i guess. why do you want to know what anyone else s criteria for a good movie is? You are not going to focus on catering to these people and the taste they have are you? Also, I would think that it is common sense that each person is going to have their own criteria but that the basic end with people who love and work in the industry is that they will determine what a good movies there are and which are the top movies and well worth watching. And, i just feel you are looking for a conspiracy with these kinds of posts.

Of course I’m not looking for a conspiracy of any sort. This matter does not have to looked at from the perspective of making a movie, I am not in the process of making one right now, but it is simply a subject I’ve been pondering about for a moment now and since it is about the entertainment industry, I thought that posting it in this section of the forum would be appropriate (is it not?).

If you really want to hear the whole story, I’ve started to think about this subject after hearing more and more people complain about how the quality of today's cinema is decreasing, like how more and more “*** movies” are made to appeal to the masses for the *****. Such a statement implies that there are objective criteria that make a movie a quality movie (or a good movie). So I started to wonder if there were objective criteria and it seemed more logical to me that there weren’t at first “but if there aren’t, why do some movies receive awards and not others?”, I thought. Hence this thread. And hence the fact that I find it contradictory to read you say that each person has their own criteria (so it’s subjective) and then defend the idea that those who work in the industry will determine what the good movies are because what is a good movie? if the criteria are subjective, it is likely that some will think a movie is good while others won’t.

"But does that make sense, as there are no clear, objective criteria as to what makes a movie a good movie or a movie that is better than another? "

Of course it makes sense. Watch one of the winning movies and then open up NetFlix and watch one of the three star movies. Notice the difference!?

Netflix is not available in my country, so can you please directly clarify what your point is?

PS: Why are the words "b-a-d" and "m-o-n-e-y" turned into stars as if they were cusswords?

Network Sponsors

Back