Any tips, advice, etc.

M

MasterOfHorror

I have plans to start filming a low-budget, indie-horror film with my friends this upcoming summer and I'm going to use it as part of a portfolio for film school and bring it to horror film festivals like Eerie Horror Film Fest, Screamfest, etc.

This will be my first film (besides one short I did), and I was wondering if any of you can give me any helpful tips or advice on filming low-budget horror and making it look a little professional and not like a bunch of kids wasting their time in the dark with a camera. It's my first film so I have lots of excitement and concerns about it. I don't want to go out and be a waffling-first-time-director.

Thank you to anyone who responds,
Johnathon

Filmmaking is something that takes years and years to master. The thing I wish I had learned much earlier is how important the pre-production stage is. Storyboards, treatment, script... Be very clear on what you want in all departments before shooting, and then everything will go much faster. Of course there are a million things one could say to this... just my little piece.

Filmmaking is something that takes years and years to master. The thing I wish I had learned much earlier is how important the pre-production stage is. Storyboards, treatment, script... Be very clear on what you want in all departments before shooting, and then everything will go much faster. Of course there are a million things one could say to this... just my little piece.

There are so many types of horror films, some Expressionistic (Sleepy Hollow, Cat People), some Realistic (The Shining, The Exorcist), many inbetween the extremes, that you have to first define what you want your film to look like. Find a model to follow, study it, and break it down into its identifyable components. Maybe it's the lighting, or the editing style, etc. Horror tends to be one of the most stylized of genres, probably more so than Westerns and Musicals... partially because it is so psychological in nature.

I would say, however, that decent acting, story, and dialogue will do wonders for making your production seem less amateurish!

Uncle Bobs standard advice, I've posted it a thousand times -

Be sure to capture quality location sound!!!

The lower your budget the less you will spend on audio post.

"Sound is half the experience" - Steven Spielberg

Audiences will forgive a lot visually if you have great sound, but they never forgive bad sound no matter how great your visuals are.

unclebob, I was curious. Is there a significant quality difference in what you record onto. For isntance, if you are using a sennheiser MKH-416, does it matter very much whether you record onto a DAT machine, or directing onto a high end camera? I mean, obviously there must be some quality loss on the camera, but how noticeable? Thanks.

Hi end microphones capture more extended frequency ranges than their less expensive counterparts. Therefore they are able to capture more in the way of subtleties. If you are recording direct to a camera that limits and/or compresses the audio data (most of them do to compensate for having inferior preamps, etc.) many of those subtleties are in danger of being lost or, conversely/perversely, overly hyped.

The Sennheiser MKH-416 is a fabulous mic; in fact it is the next mic that I will purchase. However, if you want to use it on the set you should hire someone with the knowledge and experience to use it properly. If you go to the expense of renting or buying the 416 and hiring a person to use it properly you should then record to a medium that will take advantage of it (higher bit rates/sample resolutions).

Also keep in mind that hi end shotgun mics have better off-axis rejection; they record more of what they are directly pointed at and less of what is around the aiming point. So your boom op really has to be on his/her toes so they record the dialog and not whatever is two feet to the left and ten feet behind the talent. Improper use of shotgun mics results in that “roomy” sound that is so prevalent in indie productions. (I have always thought that shotgun mics were misnamed; they really should be called “sniper” mics as they have to be aimed very carefully to pick up the best sound from their “target”.)

Here’s two links that will give you lots of great information about location sound and film sound in general.

www.equipmentemporium.com
www.filmsound.org

My recommendation is to purchase the Sennheiser ME-66 kit that has the mic (ME-66), boom pole, shock mount, blimp, dead cat, cables, etc. The ME-66 is widely used; it sounds very good and it can take a beating. You can buy the kit for less than $1k, which is what it would cost you to rent for ten weeks. Record direct to camera and make the volume of one channel fairly “hot” and the other fairly reduced. This way one channel will pick up the “quiet” stuff, and when that channel peaks out on the loud sections you have clean audio from the reduced input level channel. This set-up is pretty good for very low budget indies and the “run & gun” situations of guerilla filmmaking.

Great sound is not just the equipment; just like the rest of filmmaking it's attention to details. Scout your locations carefully. That road nearby is nice and quiet on Wednesday, but it may be a major traffic headache on the weekends when you’re shooting, or it could just be bad from 3pm to 7pm. Turn off, or better yet, unplug, AC, refrigerators, TVs, stereos, computers, etc. Even when turned off they generate noise as they are really in “standby” mode. Put sound blankets on and around things that cannot be turned off. Sweep floors; that little piece of grit sounds like a friggin’ avalanche when it gets to audio post. Make sure that your crew wears broken-in cotton clothes and sneakers; once had a PA who wore corduroy pants and a silk shirt – she sounded like a hack saw and rustling leaves in the headphones. Try to put carpets on wooden floors and/or have your talent wear soft-soled shoes. You get the idea…

I’m sure that others will chime in with advice as well. I’m here if you need me.

Network Sponsors

Back