Another useful skill... GPS navigation. Or how to be specific about where you are shooting when there are no simple road signs.

FredGinsburg

Staff member
When I was working production, many times the location on the call sheet would be kind of vague, particularly if we were shooting somewhere remote where there were no obvious house and street numbers, or deep within a park, forest, or open desert. But since I have retired, one of my pastimes has been off-roading in my Jeep. In fact, I am the president of Desert Wranglers Jeep Club (www.desertwranglers.club) based out of the Las Vegas area.

One of the first things that I learned was to always use GPS coordinates to identify a given location or meetup spot. That took the guesswork out of searching for (non-existent) street addresses when there is nothing around but dirt roads and lots of nature! Your smartphone and car navi system will show you GPS coordinates (hit the COMPASS app on your phone), and if you punch those coordinates into your navi or map search -- it will guide you within several feet, even if there is no official path or road.

If you are totally off the grid and without cell service, then software programs such as OnX Off-road can be downloaded to your phone ahead of time and will allow you to download detailed maps of the areas. The newer smartphones will receive GPS signals, even without cell service, and will function with these (previously downloaded) maps to provide detailed navigation. That's how we find our way around when we are out Jeeping in the middle of no-where.

And on the subject of Jeeping... it never hurts to establish a relationship with local off-road 4x4 clubs. Not only is it fun, but as a filmmaker it may be a valuable networking opportunity. One, there are lots of videos to be made. Not just documenting a trail run, but also doing education & training or even commercial product infomercials.

If you ever need to scout a remote location, or just to transport yourself and crew out there -- your local 4x4 club could solve a lot of transportation problems. It never hurts to network!

If you are in the Las Vegas area, our club is the Desert Wranglers. The new Desert Wranglers Jeep Club (Las Vegas, Henderson, Southern Nevada) was recently approved as a Nevada non-profit organization. Up until 2021, the club was part of and directly overseen by a Las Vegas area Jeep dealership. The dealership cut its ties to the club, and in 2022 the Desert Wranglers re-organized as an all-volunteer, independent group. Desert Wranglers is family oriented and prefers the tamer, more scenic trails (rated 2-5) rather than rock crawling. The club welcomes beginners as well as intermediate. In addition to monthly trail runs, Desert Wranglers also offers education & training. Our website is www.desertwranglers.club Come join us!

Attachments

• DW Logos_8_750k.jpg
    DW Logos_8_750k.jpg
    622.5 KB · Views: 123
  • watercrossing_cropp.jpg
    watercrossing_cropp.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 106
One of the biggest issues that I have, as well, encountered, is giving vague information about a location, which took hours of guessing and driving in circles just to find it. It can be a negative experience, especially if you need tens or thounsands of people to be at that specific location, at a specific time.

On another note, Jeeping sounds fun :D I never tried it yet

Sometimes in your zeal to scout a remote location, you might make a bad driving decision (especially in a vehicle not intended for off-road use) and find yourself stuck -- wedged on a rock or axle deep in muck. AAA is not going to come to your aid when you are off the paved roads. But there are some amazing volunteer "recovery" 4x4 groups that are equipped and trained to go where no one should, and winch you out of distress. They are the lifeguards of off-roaders. And unlike some commercial companies, they won't charge you thousands of dollars to rescue you. Check with your local 4x4 club to find out how to summon these guardian angels to get you unstuck, or tow you back to a road where AAA can take over. For example, in Southern Nevada we rely on S.N.O.R.R. (Southern Nevada Off Road Recovery). And never forget rule one of off-roading: Never head out alone; there should always be at least two vehicles. If one vehicle gets stuck or breaks down, at least you have a way to get back to cell service.

Last edited:
I had no idea there were Jeep clubs as well. So cool!
I wish I had a Jeep though.
Google them or search on FaceBook. Even if you don't own a 4x4, club members are happy to let you ride along. And probably give you a shot in the drivers seat, as well.

Here is a users guide to onX Offroad GPS navigation software that I just wrote for onX and Desert Wranglers Jeep Club. It is essentially an instruction manual for using the program.

Attachments

• OnX Offroad Tutorial July2022.pdf
    4 MB · Views: 170
Here is a users guide to onX Offroad GPS navigation software that I just wrote for onX and Desert Wranglers Jeep Club. It is essentially an instruction manual for using the program.
This is indeed, a very useful guide! Thank you for sharing it with us!!

Hey thanks! I was actually looking for something like this, I am going on an offroad trip in the following weekend! Thank you!

I wish I had this Offroad tutorial for when I had to go to remote locations which are not easily accessible. It would've saved me a lot of time.

Network Sponsors

Back