AMHERST HIGH SCHOOL MAKING LORD OF THE RINGS MOVIE TRILOGY!!

Just wondering... but when & how did you get all of the rights to use all of that Lord of the Rings marketing material on your website?

Come on Derek, it's just a phase, all high school kids go around stealing the rights to movies and advertising them on websites. They'll grow out of it. Besides, it takes alot to impress girls these days...let them have their fun 8)

oh wow, what do you mean just a phase? I dont know what you mean about growing out of it. I'm sure eventually people will grow out of watching Lord of the Rings, but that won't be for a long time. Right now, the people involved with the movie are planning to release an actual trilogy based on the books. I do agree that people do take the rights to movies and advertise them on their own websites, but thats not exactly what we are trying to do. We are using a few pictures from New Line Cinema's motion picture, but that is just until the logos for our movie are finished. It takes time for us to create the logos, because none of us really have any experience using logo creating programs. I dont think New Line Cinema will mind if we use a few pictures, but if they do we will remove them, but until then, the pictures will remain until our logos are finished.

:lol:
I humor myself...sorry if I offended.
It's unlikely New Line would pursue legal action against you. But, if not for humor, then what kind of a response did you expect when you've clearly ripped off someone else's property to promote your own agenda?
I'd like to see your own logos when they're complete, and I'm sure that once you guys get everything in order, you will do a fine job.

Keep us updated on the developments
All the best

We did expect for some people to not take us seriously at first. Some people thought that the movie was also a joke, even students from our own schoool, so we had to explain everything to them too. Everyone that we explain the trilogy to understands what we are trying to do. The logos weren't that important to me when we were making the website, and I think even when we put the new logos on the website, some people still won't take the movie seriously. We have to wait until we release footage of the movie for people to really begin to understand how serious we are, but I dont think we will release any footage until November or December. If this were a year ago and some high school students said they were going to try and make the Lord of the Rings trilogy, I would think they were crazy. I dont blame anybody for not taking us seroiusly, I just try to explain to people what we are trying to do so they don't think we are joking around. I'll try to keep this site updated as much as possible, if you have any questions or suggestions, you can go to our forum at http://arhslotr.forumer.com. Thanks!

I meant no offense...
infact, I think it's an awsome feat to accomplish... and it can be done...

I will say that I am skeptical of the outcome... only due to the fact that I don't know any of you...

All I can say is good luck...
and be wary of the use of images... many film companies do not care when people "rip off" their images to advertise their films... but they do beging to care when the images are being used to advertise something else... someone elses film... so be wary & careful in the way you use those materials...

Good luck, and I look forward to seeing your progress as the filmmaking adventure commences!

go for it

go for it

Well frist of all good luck on the proyect, you have an enourmous task ahead of you. I have one question are you adapting parts of the book or you will film all book by the chapters?

Our version of the trilogy will be based on the books. Most of the chapters from the books will be in the movie. The scripts for The Two Towers and The Return of the King are not finished yet, but I don't plan on leaving many things out. The Fellowship of the Ring will include every chapter except for Fog on the Barrow-Downs. Many things from the book that were left out from New Line Cinema's version will be in our version. There are some scenes in New Line Cinema's version, like the scenes with the evil wizard Saruman in The Fellowship of the Ring, that will not be in our version. I don't want to give all the details about the scenes that will be in the movie right now, because I'm sure a couple of the scenes will be cut, but I will try my best to keep as many scenes as possible. The forum at our website has a message board that allows people to talk about the scenes they want in our version of the movie, feel free to stop by and tell us what you want to see. Thanks everyone for your support!

We had some problems with costume design and we had to suspend production. I'm thinking of cancelling the whole project now, because I'm about to start work on some other movies. I'm not sure if I want to cancel though, because a lot of people were looking foward to the trilogy.

The level of commitment in a project of this size and scope had to remain constant for over 5 unrelenting years in order for Peter Jackson and New Line to make their theatrical LOTR release the success it is today. If your school had a department dedicated to the production of movies, like a theater department dedicates itself to the production of plays, you would have had a better chance. This might be something you'd want to consider pursuing at a University with a dedicated film department, but even then, they would likely reject the idea and call you insane. There is a strong imbalance of trust in such a thing, considering your experience, the size and scope of the project, the type of project (it's already been done before, professionally), time, money, and of course, the level of commitment shared among hundreds of people who are daring enough to be as involved as you are. It doesn’t mean it’s impossible, it just means that now may not be the right time. Just keep doing as your name says, follow your heart. 8)
Good luck

Sorry but I just have to point out that this whole thing was just hunger for attention. "Production" ended already, I find people like this quite humorous!

Toodles,

Initially, I was pretty tickled by the epic undertaking, but I still wished them well. It should be noted that the production hadn't evolved beyond the idea stage, as occcurs in many cases for filmmakers and other artists, therefore there was no production to end. What exactly do you find so humorous about these circumstances and/or the people propagating these events?

And please, if it’s not too much, could you tell us what you would have done had you been in their position to see a production of this caliber through to completion?

There is no massive "production of this caliber" involved with this. He took copywrited material (The books) and said I'm gonna make a movie! He's going through a stage and if you are so dedicated as he was trying to make himself sound he wouldnt just give up, especially at the "I havent even done anything yet" stage. He really has no idea what he was getting in to. If he actually was dedicated and cared about his work I would wish him the best of luck, but he obviously isnt, or wasnt. Oh wait hes now moving on to his other movies... I'm not even going to get in to this. Stupid argument, buts all of what I said is obvious and I dont even know why u asked. G'day.

Toodles

Ok,
WOW

#1 - Welcome to the Studentfilmmaker forums...
#2 - Congratulations on your second post...
#3 - Seriously... you need to chill.

You really need to learn how to be constructive in your criticism's. It's one thing to sign on and make a random point or statement... however, it's another entirely to get onto a forum and begin posting as though you were the final answer.

These forums are primarily for the dispursal of knowledge to students who are in any stage... Also, these forums are for the sharing of knowledge between students, graduates and professionals...

What these forums are NOT for:
* Discouragement, harsh criticism, etc.

Just because someone attempted their own LOTR film... got through a good portion of the preproduction, and then came to a point where they realized that it just wasn't going to happen... does not mean that they were "hungry for attention"... nor does it mean that they weren't dedicated to their work. All that it means is that their production is suspended or canceled... things like this happen...

Sometimes it's about the money, sometimes it's about the costumes, sometimes it's about a million different things all put together. Most importantly, it is not always the best choice to move ahead regardless... sometimes the better decision is to just stop what you're doing and move on... afterall, filmmaking is an expensive business and it's a good thing to know when you're going too far.

As for the point of this forum... I wish these guys all the best of luck... I hope that they can put it together someday, get things going again... however, if it's not in the cards then it's not in the cards, and they'll know best what to do.

As for Digigenic's question about the calliber of production... well, this was an extreme calliber of production for anyone to attempt... let alone a very ambitious high school crowd. The fact that they haven't made it to production yet does not mean that they aren't working on a massive production. Just attempting the film they are attempting is a massive task in itself. It takes lots of time, work & patience... and hopefully they can pull together again soon.

As for you Toodles... befor posting again I suggest you take my advice from above and be more constructive from now on.

Ok, I didnt even read your whole post cause it was complet4 common sense and really a waste of time for me to read. He obviously went no where with the project and like I said if he really was dedicated and REALLY was anywhere with the project I would congradulate him and want to here more. If you would open up your eyes and see this then you wouldnt be blabbering on. And postcounts? WOW. why bring up post counts, eww you have more then me. nor do i want to get a bunch. I have things to do. Projects to work on. I was just scimming the forum looking for something interesting and saw this hilarious thread. So you can keep on being all happy on your outrageous post count and get off in the corner.
-Toodles

Network Sponsors

Back