Alarm Clock Short Films

Shoyish

I'd like to bring to people's attention a cliche that is featured in many short films. Why is it that so many people start their movies with someone waking up in bed, punching their alarm clock and then going through their morning routine? I've probably seen eight shorts in the past few weeks that start this exact same way. This is a pretty unimaginative way to start a movie. Filmmakers shouldn't be afraid to drop the audience into the middle of a story and let them figure it out. Don't start your story literally at the beginning of the characters day. Pick and choose the most interesting events and details in the lives of the characters and show us those. Don't show us everything that happens to them. Mystery is the most important aspect in any work of art. Lubistch said something along the lines of "Let the audience add two plus two, they'll love you forever." I don't mean to gripe, I'd just like to see people do better work. Show us something we've never seen before.

I can relate to this. I recently began working on a screenplay for a short about a student. I immediately faced the dilemma of whether to start it off at the beginning of the character’s day or when he gets to school. I decided on the latter, figuring the former to be much too cliché and overused. But even if you absolutely must introduce a character that way, do it imaginatively. Take Independence Day for example. Will Smith wakes up right when the ships have entered the atmosphere, during what he thinks is an “earthquake”.

I swear if I see one more film where the main character wakes up, slaps his hand down on the alarm clock, and proceeds to brush his teeth, take a shower, and perform other mundane ritualistic activities, I might just shoot somebody. Hehheh.

Network Sponsors

Back