A1U vs. DVX100b

V

Volver24P

I am currently trying to decide between buying the Sony A1U or the Panasonic DVX100b. I've worked with the DVX before and found it to be a really amazing camera. However, I've heard alot of good things about the A1U and is now quite affordable (about $2000). Has anyone worked with the Sony before? Alot of my work tends to have very harsh/dramatic lighting, so ideally I want to choose the camera that can perform well in low light/have good range in the blacks.

I'm not too familiar with low end broadcast equipment, but from what I hear from my colleagues, the SONY A1U is a great camera for its price.

What equipment do you currently have?
I'd say, stick with the brand you have now. That way some of the accessories might work with each other; ie: chargers, batteries, smartshoe accessories, etc.

As of now, I don't own any equipment! I've been using the equipment at my school, which is a big hassle. Also, because of all the restrictions, I often find myself not shooting as much work as I could be. Hence the desire to make a decent camera investment.

Anyone else have an opinion about these 2 cameras?

I've used the DVX (not the Sony so I can't help you with that). For a frist camera the DVX seems fairly expensive but if you've made some stuff before and are familiar/passionate about the process then it could be a great investment. What I like about the DVX is all its features: 30i or 24p, true widescreen or standard, a million and one ways to adjust the image with all the side buttons- when used properly the camera can make some amazing professional quality stuff!

Network Sponsors

Back