A hello and a question.

f.torres.5

Hello everyone! I've just started film school and my aim is directing. Was hoping you guys could help me on what book I should read?

I'm between:

The 5 C's in cinematography
Film Directing: Shot by Shot
The Film Director Prepares
Film Directing Aesthetics

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. See you around!

If you're just starting out you should read ALL of them and many more. And all those books seem to be visually oriented; you're completely ignoring sound. You should also read:

Sound Design: The Expressive Power of Music, Voice and Sound Effects in Cinema by David Sonnenschein

The Sound Effects Bible: How to Create and Record Hollywood Style Sound Effects by Ric Viers

The Foley Grail: The Art of Performing Sound for Film, Games, and Animation by Vanessa Theme Ament

Dialogue Editing for Motion Pictures: A Guide to the Invisible Art by John Purcell

Audio Post Production for Television and Film, Third Edition: An introduction to technology and techniques by Hilary Wyatt and Tim Amyes

The Practical Art of Motion Picture Sound, Third Edition by David Lewis Yewdall

These are just the basics as far as sound is concerned. Why should you read them? Because "Sound is half of the experience." Because you should at the least understand the process so you can communicate effectively with the audio people who will be working with you.

You should also be doing lots of reading in the areas of management and finance; these are areas very pertinent to being an indie filmmaker as well. There is never such a thing as too much knowledge.

Network Sponsors

Back