A Hard Cracking Case

S

Squiggles

Hey everyone! I've been acting and directing for a while and thought it was time to give writing a shot. I have only really just started but you have to start somewhere right? So I would love some feed back on some of my work and any opinions would be greatly appreciated. So yes be as harsh as yes you see fit! But please back it with some constructive criticism. Thanks alot!

A Hard Cracking Case!
A short Film by John Wetherall.
Cast (order of appearance)
John Carter. Male 20’s
Mr. Denver. Male mid 30’s
Lucy Conway. Female. 20’s
Tim Simians. Male. 20’s
Sam Willis. Male. Mid 30’s

Int. Fade in. John Carter’s office. Day
[
Carter is half asleep with his feet up on the desk, his hat pulled down over his face he does not wish to be disturbed]

Cater [voice over]
I used to think this Job would be cool you know like you see it in films. But right now my stomach is as empty as my bank account. Ok [deep breathe] time to cut myself a deal. If that phone doesn’t ring in the next five minutes I’m leaving this profession for good.

[The phone rings]

Cater [voice over]
Figures

[He tilts back his hat and slowly picks up the phone.]

Carter
Hello John Carter’s office.

Mr. Denver
Good morning John

Carter [cater becomes more alert]
Oh Mr. Denver and what do I owe the pleasure sir?

Mr. Denver
How’s business John?

Carter
Well you now how it is Sir. Up to my neck in work I can barely hold my breath sir.

Mr. Denver
Oh so you wont be interested in a new client. Sorry to bother you. Goodbye John-

Carter [cutting in]
No wait. Sir don’t go. You know what? I believe maybe I could squeeze one more in sir.

Mr. Denver
Oh good. Her name is Lucy Conway she lives at 32 Olympic Drive. I believe it is her stepfather who will be receiving our products. Apparently he’s loaded and she is legally bound to his legacy.
[Carter writes down his instructions]

Cater
In other words a guarantied buyer I like it. Payment will be done as usual sir?

Mr. Denver:
Well depends on what she offers you but there may be a bit of a commission if you pull this off well.

Cater
And that is what I intend on doing sir.

Mr. Denver
Very good I shall leave you to it. Goodbye John

Cater
Good-bye sir.
[John Hangs up the phone and picks up a suitcase. He then looks at the instructions and then stuffs them into his pocket.]

Ext. 32 Olympic Drive. – Day
[Carter pulls his car up outside Lucy’s apartment. He gets out of his car carrying a suitcase. He walks up to Lucy’s door and knocks. A few seconds of silence and Lucy opens the door]

Cater
Good afternoon Ma’am. My name is John Carter and I am completely at your service.

Lucy
Oh. A nice to met you Mr. Carter I was wondering when you would get here. Please come in
[Lucy lets John in the two disappear into the living room]

Int. Lucy’s living room – day
[Carter removes his hat and sits down opposite to Lucy]

Lucy
Can I get you a drink or something?

Carter
No thank you. You have lovely place here.

Lucy
Ah its all right actually it’s a dump I hate it! As soon as where finished with my step dad I’m moving out.

Carter
That’s a big commitment you sure you can handle that?

Lucy
Can’t see why not. I’ll certainly have the money for it.

Carter
Well in that case lets not dilly dad about then! Lets get down to business. What sort of package would you like!

Lucy
Package?

Carter
Well I can do a standard deal or would you like something special?

Lucy
Oh god! A standard! I mean I don’t feel that bad about him! How can you sit and talk about this so casual about this.

Carter
I have been in this business for a while now it’s almost like second nature. So moving onto price.

Lucy
Huh. Oh yes price. Well I’m willing to pay-

Cater [cutting in]
Lucy

[Carter adjusts his tie and sets himself into Mr. Cool mode]

Cater
Lucy. Before you offer anything know this you’re a smart a girl and I’m sure you have checked the price of my competitors and let me assure you that all our prices are pretty much the same. However it’s important to keep in mind you’re a very attractive young women who could most defiantly sway the motives of a man like me.

Lucy
How much can I sway your motives?

Carter
Motivate me enough and I may be able to cut prices in half.

Lucy
[Lucy thinks for a minute]
Oh that’s a lot.

Lucy
Please follow me
[Lucy starts to lead Carter towards the bedroom but stops at the door.]

Lucy
Wait.

Carter
What?

Lucy
Just so I don’t make a dill of myself you where talking about sex right?

Carter [laughs]
We are now. Lead on Miss Conway lead on.

[Both Lucy and Carter enter the bedroom and close the door]

Int. Lucy’s bedroom – Day about 30 minutes later

[Both carter and Lucy are under the sheets breathing heavily. Lucy is resting on Carter’s chest]

Lucy
Best saving I ever had.

Carter [laughs]
And to think I wanted to leave this Job.

[The sound of a the front door closing can be heard Lucy sits up and Carter alerts himself]

Carter
What was that?

Lucy
Oh no my step-dad must be home!

Carter
Oh. Wait your step dad?!

Lucy
Well are you going to do it now?

Carter
What? Oh no I left all my equipment in my suitcase

Lucy
What!? Oh well you can use mine to kill him.

Carter
Do what with what? Why would I want to kill him?

Lucy
Because I just secured a deal with you that’s why! You said if I slept with you, you would take fifty percent of your price and unless you where talking about taking a nap I think we just sealed a deal.

Carter
What deal!?

[Lucy reaches under the bed and produces a gun]

Lucy
The one where you assassinate my step dad!

Carter
Is that a gun?

Lucy
It’s loaded and it works. Now go and shoot him!

Carter
I didn’t agree to do this. Killing your dad wasn’t part of any deal I agreed to!

Lucy
Well that’s the vibe you gave off. Anyway I just had sex with you he’s my step-dad! Did you learn nothing in High school? If you don’t kill him he will certainly kill you!!

Carter
This is crazy!

Lucy [aims the gun at Carter’s crouch”
No this would be crazy.

Carter
Whoaaragghhh!

Lucy
Don’t muck with me! No go do your Job and shoot him!

Carter
But.

Lucy
I’m giving you till the count of three before I serve up some baked beans! Two big mashed up ones with plenty of tomato sauce!

Carter
Wow you made that treat up all by yourself I’m impressed.

[Lucy tightens the grip on the gun]

Carter
All right already! I’ll do it!
[Carter is left defeated snatch’s the gun and gets up and puts his pants and shirt on]

Lucy
Oh and carter. Don’t do anything stupid I have plenty more guns where that one came from

Int. Lucy’s living room – Day

[Cater sneaks down the stairs and up behind the man who is looking around the place. The man hears Cater and turns around. Cater lets out a scream and fires without looking! The man falls to the ground but is not completely dead.]

Mr. Simians
Arrgghhhhhoooouuuuuu! That hurt!

Cater
Lucy I don’t think he’s dead!

Lucy [from the bedroom]
Well shoot him again.

Int. Lucy’s bedroom – Day
[Lucy is now dressed and sitting on the side of the bed she hers another gunshot the screaming stops.]

Carter [from the living room]
Ok I think he is dead now

[Lucy sits in silence for a few seconds]

Carter [from the living room]

What’s going on? Lucy you still here?

Int. Lucy’s living room – Day

Carter
Hello?

[Lucy walks out and notices the body. She soon becomes distressed.]

Carter
What did I do it wrong!

Lucy
No you killed him all right! But not my step dad that’s Mr. Simians my landlord’s son he does regular checks on the place.

Carter
Oh my god. You mean I just murdered an innocent man? I’m going to be locked up for sure.
[Another knock at the door]

Carter
(Screams a little) You expecting someone?

Lucy
I was expecting my step dad but we all know where that led too.

Carter
Ok You go see it is and I’ll hide! If it’s your step dad I’ll shoot him.

[Carter ducks under a coffee table while Lucy opens the door. Sam Willis is standing there in formal dress.

Carter [from under the table]
Well is it him? Do I shoot?

Lucy
No! It’s him! I got no idea who it is!

[Cater slowly sticks his head up and then slowly stands. Lucy stands at the door looking at Sam]

Lucy
Can I help you?

Sam Willis
Sam Willis. I’m the hit man you order for your stepfather.

Lucy and Carter
What?

Sam Willis
We spoke last week. Who’s this?

Lucy
Ummm I. I don’t know who this is
[Points at Carter]

Sam Willis
What do you mean you don’t know who he is?

Lucy
I thought he was you.

Sam Willis
What? This little punk is anything but me!

Lucy
Then who is who and what are you doing here?
[Both Sam and Lucy look at Carter accusingly]

Carter
Ummm John Cater. Plastic where salesman extraordinaire! Can I interest you two in a 10-pack offer?
[Opens up his suitcases to reveal sets of plastic cups, plates and bowls. Cater has a cheesy grin on his face, Sam and Lucy are left speechless]
[Blank black screen]

Roll credits

Good

Good

story is good, overall well-done. I think the dialogue needs to be a bit more convincing. More character description would help the audience accept the salesman's agreeing to shoot him so quickly and explain the girl's wanting for her step-father to be dead. Also, the whole deal making through intercourse is a bit abrupt. so basically just editing the pacing in some parts would help. good job.

Network Sponsors

Back