A few tips to ensure the safety on the set

Maura N.

The Last Black Unicorn
You are just starting your career as a filmmaker and you are probably very excited. However, before you start shooting videos, you need to make sure you ensure the safety on set for all those involved in your new project.

1. Conduct a Risk Assessment before you begin filming

There are many online materials that can guide you on how to properly conduct a risk assessment. You will need to identify potential hazards within the location that you have chosen. If you can, ask for the advice of a more experienced friend or colleague.

2. Hire a Safety Supervisor

If your budget allows it, hire a Safety Supervisor to help you ensure the safety on the set. The amount of experience that a Safety Supervisor has can help you ensure that everyone will be safe during the filming.

3. The Weather

You need to consider the weather that your crew will have to work in. For example, during a hot summer day, you will need to ensure that everyone is well hydrated and they are protected from sunburn and heatstroke. You will need to provide many bottles of sunscreen and water. Each weather condition has different requirements.

What do you think are the most common hazards and how do you proceed to ensure that everyone’s safety is ensured on the set?

A safety supervisor can be a quick fix for all these troubles. Or you can become a safety supervisor but you will need some experience with what could go wrong. And trust me when I say this but sometimes, everything that could go wrong, goes extremely wrong!

Imagine how difficult is for a student to know all these. You are young and excited and you miss out all the things you need to pay attention to. I could think of many possible risks but some things just don't come to my mind. Accidents happen. Like, one time I hit my head on a tree branch because I wasn't paying attention and I was having my head in the camera and I was very focused. Nothing serious. But it happens.

Have a plan. Friend of mine died on a set that was shooting out in the middle of nowhere... basically a heart attack as I recall (this was like 15 years ago) and they just couldn't get help in time. Know where the closest hospital is, have a good first aid kit handy and a trained & designated medic, if at all possible, and please please please, if you have any stunts, weapons, etc. on set, have a qualified person there in charge of those aspects!

Have a plan. Friend of mine died on a set that was shooting out in the middle of nowhere... basically a heart attack as I recall (this was like 15 years ago) and they just couldn't get help in time. Know where the closest hospital is, have a good first aid kit handy and a trained & designated medic, if at all possible, and please please please, if you have any stunts, weapons, etc. on set, have a qualified person there in charge of those aspects!
I am sorry to hear about your friend. But you are right. It is very important to have a plan and be aware of how fragile the human body is and not perform dangerous stunts without having a professional on board.

Your post made me more aware of how important it is to be responsible at all times. What might seem like a fun weekend in the woods where you are filming with friends can turn into tragedy if you are not careful. I always thought that parents tell us these stories to scare us but you are right and you speak from experience. Safety first!

Network Sponsors

Back