A Common Nuisance - Walkies on Set

temerson

Okay, a short anecdote - I just got off a music video, shooting on 35mm, as Key Set PA. On the last night before wrap, the sun is setting and everybody is scatterbrained and rushing to find our Key Wardrobe, but it was not to happen. I get on the walkie and call, "Out to All Crew. Do we have a twenty on Key Wardrobe?" The only answer I received, albeit numerous times from various people, was "What's a twenty?"

Ladies and gentlemen, walkie/radio etiquette is essential to a well-oiled set. If people cannot or do not know proper communication skills, more time is spent translating a message than in doing a job. And, walkies are tools, not toys. A lot of directors are excited about carrying them, but they are for communication - not to play cops and robbers.

Here's a quick breakdown of common radio communications useful on set:

"Out to XXX" - These are always the first words out of your mouth over the walkie. If I need to get a hold of camera department I would start "Out to Camera, Over."

"Over" - Lets them know transmission is ended and you are waiting for their reply. Always use after each time you talk - otherwise they may think there is interference or you were cut off.

"Copy" - Lets the other end know that you are receiving them properly.

"Roger," or "10-4" - Message recieved, and confirmed.

"Affirmative" - Don't say yes, yeah, okay, sure or anything of the sort over radio. It's strictly "Affirmative," or "That's an affirmative."

"Negative" - Don't say no, nea, nah, uh uh, or anything of the sort over the radio. It's strictly "Negative," or "That's a negative."

"Out" - Lets other person know that the conversation is over, and you are signed off.

10-4 Okay. Message received.
10-6 Busy or Waiting. Stand by.
10-9 Please repeat message.
10-16 Pick me up at ...
10-17 Urgent Business
10-20 Location (My twenty is..., What's your twenty?)
10-21 Telephone Call for...
10-22 Report in Person to ...
10-23 Please stand by
10-27 Moving to channel ...
10-28 Please identify yourself
10-32 Radio Check
10-34 Trouble, help needed
10-35 Confidential Information
10-38 Medical Emergency
10-100 Going pee
10-200 Going poop

And lastly, the Alphabet. Use Zulu Codewords for Letters, because a lot of letters sound the same over the radio:

A - Alpha
B - Bravo
C - Charlie
D - Delta
E - Echo
F - Foxtrot
G - Golf
H - Hotel
I - India
J - Juliet
K - Kilo
L - Lima or Lambda
M - Mike
N - November
O - Oscar
P - Papa
Q - Quebec
R - Romeo
S - Sierra
T - Tango
U - Uniform
V - Victor
W - Whiskey
X - X-Ray
Y - Yankee
Z - Zulu

SAMPLE RADIO MESSAGE:

AD: Out to Camera, Over.
Camera: Roger, this is Camera. Over.
AD: This is AD. Do we have an ETA on setup for this next shot? Over.
Camera: ETA on Camera - 10 minutes.
AD: Copy that. Do you have a twenty on the DP? Over.
Camera: 10-9. Please repeat. Did you say DP? Over.
AD: Copy. Do you have a twenty on the DP - Delta Papa? Over.
Camera: 10-6. That's a negative. Please stand by...DP is 10-100.
AD: 10-4. AD Out.

Network Sponsors

Back