Wutcha Think...?

D

Digigenic

Anybody feel like discussing the probability of Canon soon releasing a consumer high def successor to the XL1? And if so, what sort of impact do you think the release of such a camera would have on the indie filmmaking community?

Based on a consensus of speculative nut case videographers from forums all over the web, it's been my understanding that the camera is expected to be priced somewhere between the current XL1's price and five thousand, respectively. The real question is, how much will the lenses cost? If they do switch the format, they'll be expected to offer High Def lenses as well, which could greatly increase the cost of the camera. Although, there are also rumors that Canon may employ their proprietary CMOS sensor and Digic Imaging processor in the camera, which would potentially cut costs and create an equilibrium between that and the cost of the lens? I do know one thing is almost for certain, it's going to have 24P capabilities, this is from a very reliable source, Tim Smith, the technical marketing and sales training manager video division, who was being interviewed by Camcorderinfo.com. What’s going to be even more interesting though, if this isn’t boring you by now, is seeing what kind of lens adapters P+S Technic will develop for the camera, should be interesting...?

Oh man, there’s an abundance of forums all throughout the web dedicated to DV, motion graphics, photography, etc. I suppose, if you really felt it was necessary to invite them, you could. As to whether or not you’ll develop a mutualistic relationship with these forum goers…?… That kind of depends on what kind of knowledge is promised on the other end of the invitation. Many of these forums have underground DV gurus and DV tech Masters, and apprentices who practically spend their lives in the forums, thoroughly tending to everyone's question and, providing some pretty damn good advice. So if you're going to send an invitation to anyone, it should be to one of those people. As for the forums themselves, I tend to favor the ones that place an emphasis on technologically oriented issues as oppose to critique corners. The sites I've listed below have it all. I visit them every now and again, but there's a select group of sites that I visit more often.

DV INFO NET COMMUNITY FORUMS
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/

I've found that the first 5 sites I listed contain the most amount of information, especially Umedia/Creative Planet, Digital Producer, and DV Info net. Camcorderinfo is also very good, as is DV.com. Global DVC has a portal to different forums, and I really haven't explored the DV Spot. Hope you find what you’re looking for…

Last edited by a moderator:
If they do switch the format, they'll be expected to offer High Def lenses as well, which could greatly increase the cost of the camera.

This is something I've never really understood. I can buy a 35mm still lens for $100 and get pretty good photos out of it... so why does a movie lens cost thousands of dollars?

That's a good question...
There's a sacred level of precision technology that goes into research, development, and manufacturing of motion picture primes. Pair that with the fact that the cameras they're attached to are priced upwards of about 6 digits a piece, then it's no surprise that the lenses are going to be relatively priced to the devices on which they operate.
I honestly don't know why they HAVE to be priced that much higher than standard camera lenses.
Perhaps we should pose the question to Mr. Wagner...?

Network Sponsors

Back