Winter Photo Contest Entry: Below zero. Lights&Shadows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kasia Gajek

Name
Kasia Gajek
Winter here, in Sweden, could be almost as exciting as summer :) Especially, when the sun is shining brightly and snow and ice shimmer in its rays.

I'd like to make an entry with one of my favourites photos I took which shows that colour and light are possible to find and capture even in wintertime.

Photo: An irregular, transparent ice block with sunlight going through it. Breathtaking natural ice construction on lake's frozen surface.

Best regards,
Kasia

FIRST NAME: Kasia
LAST NAME: Gajek

PHOTO LOCATION: Sweden, Gothenburg, Askim, Sisjön
CAMERA: Canon EOS M50
LENS: EF-M55-200mm f/4.5-6.3
EDITING SOFTWARE (IF ANY): Pixelmator Pro
FILTERS USED (IF ANY): no filters

LEVEL OF EXPERIENCE: (Choose between: Amateur, Hobbyist, Student or Professional) Hobbyist

Attachments

• Sisjon_30:1:2021_transparent cube copy.jpg
    Sisjon_30:1:2021_transparent cube copy.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
Hello Kasia! Your photo has something special, I have never seen such a block of ice on a frozen lake's surface before.

Thank you for your entry!

Good luck! :D

At first, I thought it was a close up of ICE on the ground but when I read that it is in a lake...the shadow on the left side of the photo is something that I haven't seen before in winter photos

At first, I thought it was a close up of ICE on the ground but when I read that it is in a lake...the shadow on the left side of the photo is something that I haven't seen before in winter photos
Hi Robert!
Yes, indeed, the shadow looks amazing. I suppose the block of ice had some sand impurities at the edges and was more translucent inside. In addition, the low location of the winter sun in Sweden - the effect is really nice. Here's a link to another photo from this day to give you an idea how it looked like in a larger area.

Hi Robert!
Yes, indeed, the shadow looks amazing. I suppose the block of ice had some sand impurities at the edges and was more translucent inside. In addition, the low location of the winter sun in Sweden - the effect is really nice. Here's a link to another photo from this day to give you an idea how it looked like in a larger area.
Wow, they were very large. I'd love to shoot photos there!

Beautiful image. Finding detail amidst all of the beauty. No chromatic aberration. Very nice. What camera system and color app did you use?

Beautiful image. Finding detail amidst all of the beauty. No chromatic aberration. Very nice. What camera system and color app did you use?
Thank you, Roy. The picture was taken with Canon EOS M50. There is not a lot of correction, just adjusting saturation a bit. The light conditions and angle were just perfect. I use Pixelmator Pro and I love it!

I couldn't have imagined that this could look so well!
Hi Charlote!

Thank you for your comment :)

The thing is that the shadows did not look spectacular from above. But when I changed the angle and lay on my stomach (looked hilarious) I was able to take a shoot like this.

Hello again! :D We have recently updated our entry format. Could you please edit your first post to contain all these information? :) Thank you in advance!

FIRST NAME:
LAST NAME:
PHOTO LOCATION:
CAMERA:
LENS:
EDITING SOFTWARE
(IF ANY):
FILTERS USED
(IF ANY):

LEVEL OF EXPERIENCE:
(Choose between: Amateur, Hobbyist, Student or Professional)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Network Sponsors

Back