Will Premiere Pro Edit HD?

Kim Welch

Staff member
Can you edit HD with Premiere Pro?

Also we have tapes from the workshop with Roy in Burbank from a Sony 950 or 900. What exactly would we want to do to edit these on PC with Premiere Pro? What equipment is best to load the data from the tapes to the hard drive? Should we get an external hard drive ?

editing hd with windows

editing hd with windows

take a look at this site: http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2004/apr04/04-19HDOverallNAB04PR.asp

if you used a sony 900 or 950 you must have the 1080i hd video on sony hdcam stock. you will need a deck and a capture card able to accept hd sdi.

if you had the hd footage on hdv using a sony hdr-fx1 or a hvr-z1u camera, you could use the free plugin adobe is offering upgrading adobe premeire pro 1.5 to 1.5.1.

i currently use this and it works great with firewire and hdv.

good luck.

tom

Tom? Is that you?

It's Chris Cavallari! How have you been?

yea...its me

yea...its me

send me an email when you get the chance. i like to catch up.
tom

graphics card

graphics card

what is the best graphics card and monitor set up to use for editing?

So - can Premiere Pro edit HD?

I'd like to telecine 20 minutes of super-16mm rushes to full 1080p resolution. I don't have an HD-SDI card on my computer. Can I take my 250GByte external hard disk to the telecine house, dump the HD video file onto disk and then edit this on Premiere Pro 1.5?

Or will I need to do this on a film scanner rather than a telecine house?

If you can get it into an AVI format, then Premiere should be able to edit it. Certainly Premiere 6.5 can load up .m2t files captured from a Sony FX1 at 1080i.

Perfect, thanks a lot for your help.

Any thoughts as to which codec I should use? I know the new Sony HDCAM SP uses MPEG4. Should I use MPEG4? I think the telecine house I'm using can compress to pretty much any codec.

Thanks,
Jack
www.FocusPointFilms.co.uk

Something that works on a PC :). To be honest, the telecine house probably have a better idea than most people here would, I'm sure they must have done this kind of thing before.

MPEG-4 usually looks decent at lower frame rates than MPEG-2 though, so it might be a good choice.

If you're looking for an affordable way to get it into a Premiere Pro computer, your best bet will be looking into transfering the HD onto a lower medium of DV.

If you're thinking of using the footage for distribution of some sort, you'll want to stick with the HD resolution, but then your options just become more & more expensive.

Definetly contact the local telecine house though, they'll help the most.

PREMIERE PRO HD

PREMIERE PRO HD

Adobe has an update for premiere pro which enables HD. Available for free at their website. It's version 1.5.1 I believe. Haven't used it yet as I don't have any hd fottage to edit but I installed the upgrade anyway,best,pb

CineForm currently makes the best plugin for editing HD. HDV can be edited with CineForm's Aspect HD (PPro 1.5.1 is actually some licensed technology from CineForm) and Prospect HD is the full HD-SDI version.

The codec is incredibly efficient and high quality.

The film "Dust to Glory" was edited on a Prospect system and imaged back to film for exhibition. It's that good.

www.cineform.com

Network Sponsors

Back