What's a good film festival?

K

kylefasho

I'm looking to submit my feature length movie to a few film festivals, but I have a problem:

I shot it digitally and the sound isn't exactly professional. I had a boom mic and a couple lavs is all. I mean, it looks and sounds as good as it can under the circumstances, but it doesn't look and sound like an actual movie. That being said, are there any film festivals out there who wouldn't hold that against me?

Difficult to say, as festivals don't always serve up the same pool of competition every year.
Though, there are some festivals/competitions that are a little more lenient with production value, but most festivals tend to only select the better of the bunch, not only in terms of production value, but in terms of catering to particular tastes.
I can't necessarily recommend a particular film festival/competition that'll forgive your film's shortcomings and accept it on the merit of what your intentions might have been with the film, they can only judge it for what it is.

Visit SF.com's resource page/links, http://www.studentfilmmakersforums.com/resources.shtml
You'll see the festival section; there you may find a suitable outlet for your film.

I hope this helps,

Good luck

"doesn't sound like a real movie"

"doesn't sound like a real movie"

Don't sell yourself short.

Making a movie is hard work, and is your creative baby.

It DOES sound like a real movie because it is a real movie. You made it and be proud of it. There are almost 6 billion people on the earth. How many of them can say that the made a movie? 60,000?

So, if that # is true, then you are 1 in a million! Think about it!

Don't get me wrong, you should always be perfecting your craft. But don't sell yourself short!

johnt55, I resent the comment that you made above. I've worked for three years with the Tallgrass Film Festival in Wichita, Kansas. Not only do I have one of the highest positions (a volunteer one, at that), but I am also on the programming committee. We are committed to previewing and showing QUALITY films. If you understood the amount of films that we get that are not up to par with the rest (see a bell curve), then you would understand. Logistics must be considered. It's not like we can show every film that comes through our doors. We have a limited number of screenings. Also, we are a filmmaker driven festival - no awards, no anything to seperate one film to a lower caste than another. If you really want to take a look at a quality film festival, I suggest you take a hard look at Tallgrass. Otherwise, try to understand why festivals don't take everything they recieve before basing your opinion on however many festival you have entered or whatever.

www.tallgrassfilmfest.com

Re: What's a good film festival?

kylefasho said:
but it doesn't look and sound like an actual movie.

What does that actually mean? "An actual movie", if you spend the time and effort from script to screen that is a ‘actual movie’. Your sound and vision with a small budget will never sound as good as Complete post production with Foley artists, ADR voice recording and will not look like it's shot on a 1/2 Million dollar 35mm Panavision Camera with thousands spent on colour grading, so like the above said "don’t sell yourself short" it's a massive achievement to make a feature length film, no matter what the budget.

MIFF 'Melbourne International Film Festival' is currently in town with some really great pieces of work, but you know what, the best films that I have seen have been the cheaper ones, some shot on video, for one single underlining reason. STORY.

If you have a good story, get it out there, no matter what festivals, send it too as many as possible, if some need it to be on film, pah, get it printed on 16mm.

If you have gone to the effort of creating a feature length film you need to stress whatever resources you have to get the film and yourself known.

James.

tough question, just depends how you work it, will it benefit you, can you make it to the fest and promote your film, etc.

Arizona seems to have a lot of good festivals I've noticed and always pulls in a crowd.

we've been to Sedona, Lake Havasu, ASU fest in Tempe, all nice crowds of people, then there's more in Pheonix.

Arelene's Grocery Picture Show is a good one. $5 entry fee and they try to play everything entered. we entered 4 films, all showed in the fest.

Network Sponsors

Back