What is your favorite Camera and Why

For professional gigs: Canon C100 (Mark 2). Amazing image quality. Pro cinecam features packed into an easy-to-use body. It just gets the job done.

For my own small projects (like vlogs): Pixel 3a. I used old school camcorders and it's insane how much better the image quality is in a $400 "budget" smartphone like the 3a than the old, expensive camcorders I grew up with.

What is your favorite camera and why?
For the last five years I've used a starter camera: Canon Vixia HF R600, but just upgraded to a Canon Vixia G60 4K camera. I tried a friends Sony 4k $3500 dollar camera, but the colors are too cool whereas the Canon Camcorders have a warmer look which I prefer. The G60 has everything I need for "Run & Gun" documentary filmmaking, and it's cheap ( $1,500.00 ) compared to others in it's class. At this stage in my filmmaking it works for me and it was what I could afford a the time. I might consider a BlackMagicPocket 6K in the future, but I'm not sure I'd take it out in the rain and crash through the thick forest with it filming a documentary of Bigfoot researchers.

Heres a Movie trailer showing me using a Canon Vixia HF R600 and a Mojo External Microphone to film with before I purchased the G60:

The camera showing me filming is a GoPro 6 on a tripod sticking up out of my backpack.

Artist & Filmmaker
Marshall White
Metaline Falls, Washington

I currently shoot videos with Sony A6000 and Sigma Lens 56 mm f1/4. However, sometimes I use Huawei P40 Pro and the Gimbal from DJI Osmo Mobile 2 for more steady shots. I wish to upgrade in the future to Sony A7000 and purchase additional lens.
However, for now, because I am still a novice, this setup can help me better understand the basics and better myself, learn more settings and techniques.

I highly recommend that you personally test every camera. Do not use DSLRs for their are high end choices available now within that price range. Ergonomics are a personal thing. Color interpretation is personal. The most important value is that personal relationship you have with the manufacturer and vendor. Do they listen to your complaints and recommendations? I’ve personally liked the Blackmagic cameras starting with the G1 and G2, the Pocket 6k and the new 12k. Blackmagic designed this camera to work perfectly with their software - DaVinci Resolve. I personally believe the sensor can hold more detail in the highlights and a better interpretation of skin tones. None of the other high end cameras I’ve tested come close to the soft shoulder gamma curve that the Blackmagic cameras emulate. Almost all digital cameras have a sharp stair step interpretation of contrast.

Hi Roy, What did you shoot with? The new Ursa mini pro 12K that is $9,995 USD on Makertek. I would like to try it. They might not give me another camera though. The last one they gave me I sold to pay bills. I wish I still had it now. I have a lot of time to test it. I like Ursa. I don't like pocket cameras.

Best Regards
Kim

I think the Sony and Cannon cameras are much more affordable and will shoot well over 4K which is all that is needed. Cannon had great support. And, what about the new camera Sigmaphoto has out. I was talking to them recently and Rick said they gave you a camera to test out. How is the new Sigma Camera? I maybe be part of a production in NYC in the next month with Rob. I hope he uses an Arri or Red unless of course BlackMagic wanted to loan us a camera to try.

Last edited:
The new SIGMA FP is an exceptional mirrorless camera. Indeed it is the closest camera I’ve found that has the flexibility and ergonomics of my photochemical Leica M6. I don’t think it’s a mistake that the camera allows for Leica “L” glass. I gave up many years ago carrying a camera on set for free form photography. I would grab the iPhone. Now I grab the FP. The image quality is exceptional. It’s size is ridiculously small. The Sigma lenses are beautiful without the crazy cost of most other glass.
I know they are promoting the camera as a director’s finder. Indeed it allows you to use the capture lenses and record still or video images as you line up the scene.
This choice is seriously diminishing the power of the camera as a strong front line competitor in the mirrorless market.
In my opinion the sensor capture war this tiny camera captures 24.6 megapixels.
I highly recommend that you try it ergonomically and ease of operation. The images are extraordinary.
There’s no other mirrorless camera that can come close for the price.
As for what digital camera I like...it really relies upon support relationships. If you have a relationship with a particular camera manufacturer you should consider that the number one value choice.
As many of you know I’ve shot my last several projects including a feature with the Blackmagic camera technology. When Grant Petty bought the Davinci organization I knew he would build a sensor and camera that used the same mathematical formula which is one of the reasons most camera manufacturers have a problem with areas of the color space and gamma. There cameras can expose like we are accustomed to with motion Picture negative. The gamma curve has the soft stair step we love with film instead of the sharp stair step rendering of each gray value.
I personally believe that the RED camera doesn’t hold over exposure well. The Sony cameras have a muted bias that reflects the Japanese interpretation of color space. I’ve never been a fan of the Alexa’s ergonomics and conservative gamma curve. None of these cameras interpret skin tone any where near as well as the Blackmagic camera.
I know the camera is cheaper but alas there are a great many steps not necessary because the manufacturer owns the finest color rendering company currently in existence. It also has developed a RAW that is much easier to output and store based upon the size of the files.
If you consider the number of steps from RAW to final image the Blackmagic camera has more three dimensional renderings of color. Peaking back the “onion” from RAW to final reveals the simplicity and depth of the Blackmagic image.

I remember walking a trade show with Andy Laszlo ASC he left us and I asked him which camera was the best and he said, "they all work." At this time there are no 12K TV Sets in mass production even 6K or 5K and only some 4K and even with computer monitors there is a huge lag in the higher def. I don't think that people notice the differences at this point. Color correction Editors might notice. Also, I have thought about the possibility of things being too high def and real. The movies are not the real world. More like reflective images of the real that play on our imagination, provocative of feelings with colors, light and shadows, movement, and other story telling dynamics.

These are the cameras used in 2020 Oscar nominated films.
  • Alexa 65
  • Alexa LF
  • Arriflex 435
  • Panavision Panaflex
  • Alexa SXT
  • RED Helium
  • Alexa Mini LF
  • Aaton A-Minima

Hi there,
I currently own the Sony A7RII, which i love to work with, it's all that a photographer could whish for and since i was very interested in the Sony S-, R-, A-series, i think that most of the upgrades that the next R-series received are more on the software side(which is a good thing). But if in the future i'd make an upgrade i'd look into the A9-series. ;)

Network Sponsors

Back