What degree does a screenwriter need?

R

raducangeorgiana

If I want to become a screenwriter and work as one, what degree do I need? Is there a special school I need to attend? Do I need to go to Film School? Or a special school for writers?

You do not need a degree to become a screenwriter. A screenwriter can break into the industry with a powerful script that catches agents and managers attention.

As I have previously mentioned multiple times in many other threads, most non-famous film schools are subpar at teaching how to write screenplays. Learn by reading produced screenplays and writing constantly and getting feedback from more experienced screenwriters.

A film school can help you make connections and meet other filmmakers who can produce your stories if you are not interested in producing and directing your own stories.

The bread and butter of most writers in the industry is working in a writer's room (TV Series). To get these jobs you need connections, be represented and have powerful writing samples that show your unique voice.

If you are completely new to screenwriting I would suggest starting by reading Save the Cat and Robert Mckee's book.

It will give you a good idea of what structure most screenplays follow, but don't follow it 100%, since everybody is writing the same hobbit star wars hero's journey rehash, figure out a way to follow the template but bend the rules to create something truly unique that makes you stand out amongst the 100 000 writers knocking at the door trying to get a chance at the spotlight.

Best of luck!

Network Sponsors

Back