What can I do about this audio/post-production problem?

ironpony

For a film school assignment, the school assigns a student from the audio engineering class, to record on location audio, as well as do the post production audio after.

The audio student recorded all of the audio for me, on set, and now that we were in post production we have to do some ADR which was understandable, but he wants to redo all of it. That's quite a bit. Basically a lot of it was recorded too quiet and you have to turn the speakers literally all the way up just to hear it, accompanied by a lot of the noise floor.

We brought in one of the actors to redo his (he had a small part), and it went well. Then we brought in one of the main actors but it didn't go well cause for some reason the reference video kept screwing up in pro tools. We have been working with in pro tools for two days, and it worked well at first, but then it kept pausing when it was playing and wouldn't work after we brought in the second actor, after the first session went so well prior.

I don't want to have to ask one of the two lead actors to come in again, and feel that maybe we should just live with the noise floor and cut our losses. I mean the actor already agreed to do one reshoot cause of bad weather, and now I have to ask him to come in do ADR for the entire thing, like the audio student asked me to?

But it's also hard to schedule with actors cause the other student works a lot, and the studio we have is often booked in advance. But at the same time, the audio student has marks to earn on the assignment as well, and don't want to have him fail, his part of the assignment, so maybe i should ask the actor to come back again, even after one reshoot, and after the pro tools wouldn't play back the reference video properly?

Or maybe we should just cut our losses and live with the noise high noise floor, and try to cut it out as much as we can and be done with it, and just put that on the audio student? What do you think?

Also, cause of the assignment schedule, we had to have our movies picture locked before doing ADR, and that might be a problem cause I chose a lot of close ups shots, where as if I knew the ADR was going to go so bad, maybe I should have chosen master shots for the parts with bad audio, to make ADR easier, which is pretty much the majority of it the sound being bad.

However, do you think that maybe close ups shots at key moments in the movie are important and I should let poor audio get in the way of the artistic vision, shot and editing wise?

Oh yeah for sure. Normally I would pic an audio person I like and trust. However, since this is a film school assignment the school pics the audio person for me, and i don't really have control of that, so I am forced to work with what I am given, school wise.

Well I feel it might be inappropriate to give the name of the actual professor of this class on the forum. Why do you want to know?

Hello Ironpony,
as a sound person I have to admit that I wouldn't be happy with bad audio quality, and usually what is done is to bring all the ADR to the same quality standards of the production shoot. This is to say that if your production audio is really bad this is some move you probably would not want to do.

What you can do though to avoid the video issues is to convert your video in the DNxHD format which is a proprietary Avid format that Pro Tools really like. It will make your video smooth as silk. To do this I normally use MPEG Streamclip, which is a free software that you can easily download from the internet. Also download the codecs from the AVID website (free as well) and you should be good to go for the next sessions.

If you are still experiencing issues in the sessions let me know, other possible causes could be buffer sizes and computer power (in which case I suggest to have a clean session for each actor, a little bit more work for the audio guy though).

I hope it helps. Good luck with your project.

All the best,
Lorenzo.

Okay thanks. Well the professor says I need to get the audio person's ass in gear, and make him do it, but how am I suppose to do that when the guy is just a volunteer, doing it for free? I want to pass the assignment, but how do I make the person do something he doesn't have the passion to want do on time, so to speak?

Network Sponsors

Back