What camara do you recommend???

rarobles

Ok, here's the deal. I am going to start shooting my first short very soon. The problem is I only have 2000 dlls for the camera.

I've been doing a lot a research and I really want to get the DVX100, of course, with 2grand it is just not going to happen.

I considered renting, but, 600 dlls for a 3-day rental seems to much to me.

So, let me get to the point. What cameras under 2000 dlls do you recommend?

I am going to be shooting both interior and exterior scenes. The only tricky one will be at night at an exterior location.

I was looking into de Sony VX2100. What do you think? That one goes about 300 dlls over my budget, but I think I can come up with that little extra :shock:

Thanks for your help.

P.S. Will be buying from B&H.

Sonys are good cameras, and my experiences with the VX2000 have been favorable, so I'm sure the VX2100 will be equally good.

It's got a 2 setitng ND filter built in, and a color bar generator (not sure if it's SMPTE bars or not). I see that it uses a stereo mini jack for mic input, which could be a hinderance. If you wanted to use XLR balanced inputs for mics, you'll have to find an adapter (I believe BeachTek makes one). Sonys have a reputation for giving muddy colors in low light, but I'm not sure how this one performs. Three 1/3" CCD chips will give you fairly good image quality and color reproduction under normal conditions, however. While the vx2100 doesn't have a progressive mode or 24 fps recording, it's still a good, prosumer camera that I'm sure will serve you well on your short.

Good Luck.

Chris

The VX is a solid performer, particularly in low light conditions. With regard to 3-chip starndard DV camcorders that compete in this range, I would also suggest you look into the Canon GL2 and the Panasonic AG-DVC30. To make a better informed decision, you should always try to get your hands on a camera before your purchase, see how it feels, see how accessible all the settings are, etc. Specs only provide a partial solution. How an individual adapts to the form factor is of just as much importance.

What do you guys think about the Panasonic PV-GS250?

We have it here at the hospital were I work. So I could borrow it and not have to buy anything right now until I can afford something better.

Of course, this only works if the camera is good enough for what I need.

Try it out in some test situations, see if it can handle what you intend to throw at it during your production. I believe that camera is a 3 chip if I'm not mistaken. Although, any small camera within that class typically has hell to pay when it attempts to shoot in low light, regardless of it being 1 or 3 chip.

Network Sponsors

Back