What are the biggest challenges of being a photographer?

István Kovács

Photography can be an incredibly rewarding profession. I am a photographer for years and I had the pleasure of capturing beautiful, unique images. But no profession is perfect and there are a few challenges you should consider before diving in.

I would like to start a discussion about this topic on this forum and invite each photographer to talk about at least one of the challenges they are facing.

I will go first.

The cost of equipment is perhaps one of the biggest challenges that i had to face when I first started. The cost of the body camera is high, but the cost of accessories is most times higher than the cost of the camera itself. I had to spend thousands of euros for my gear and the cost of maintenance and upgrade also adds up, because you cannot use the same equipment forever as technology is evolving fast. Unfortunately, I have managed to counter this challenge by taking photos at weddings, which are well-paid.

Editing is a big challenge these days because anything that you can do, an AI filter can do it better. You need to learn how to edit each photo and it can be time-consuming. Sure, you can use filters but no filter can do what you can do manually. The quality of your work is judged by how well the images are edited. Software and editing tools can also be expensive and they can be difficult to learn. Tey requires a certain degree of technical know-how and not everyone has it.

Understanding what equipment you need to purchase. You might purchase a camera and purchase the wrong lens for that camera. Not every lens is compatible with your camera.

Network Sponsors

Back