Video Skipping

S

Spenserk

I hope this is the right forum...

Anyway, I'm using a Sony DCR TRV900 and lately I've been encountering some nasty skips when I try to play back any of the video I've captured. Along with the weird delays and speed ups I also have sound dropouts that accompany it.

I'm shooting with progressive scan, SP, and with 16 bit audio. Could it be that the media I'm using is doing this? Maxell tapes, DVM60SE.

here's a clip of what I'm encountering. Currently it plays the timecode without any errors when I'm logging files, yet when I try to batch capture in FCP, the timecode gets screwy and it stops capturing due to a "timecode error". I can import my media through "Import Now" in iMovie and the result is this weird speeding up/slowing down film. When i playback the media on the camera, all that shows up are the sound pops and the playback speed is normal.

*Edit:: When I state "speedingup/slowing down", I merely mean that the footage will instantaneously skip ahead a second then resume normal play speed. However, this isn't visible when the footage is played on the camera, only on imported footage.*

http://homepage.mac.com/spenserk/movies/skippingdrill.mov

Any feedback would be tremendously helpful...

How many different brands of tape have you used?
How soon do you export footage after recording it? How are you storing your tape?
Are you using a different camcorder to serve as a VTR and import the footage?
How long/often have you been using the camcorder?

How many different brands of tape have you used?
Since I've just started noticing this problem it's been on 5 of the maxell tapes I've exposed from the pack of 6

How soon do you export footage after recording it? How are you storing your tape?
I export my footage pretty much the same day and the tape isn't stored in any extremes in temperature or humidity.

Are you using a different camcorder to serve as a VTR and import the footage?
I'm using the same camcorder for both.

How long/often have you been using the camcorder?
I've had the camera for about 4 years now and use it for projects on a monthly basis.

I've just re-shot some footage on Sony brand tapes and upon capturing it I've noticed that the skips occur about every 5 seconds now.

Network Sponsors

Back