Vegas 5.0?

jblackwell

I was introduced to this program at the SMPTE showcase in NYC a few weeks ago, and I was very impressed. Does anyone know anything about Vegas 5.0? How does it compare to other programs in its price range?

If you want you can d/l a trial version of Vegas on its website....I went into Vegas very excited...I'm an avid Adobe Premiere 6.0 user and I've heard so many great things about vegas as well. What I got was pretty complex. I found the program to be to cluttered for my tastes. I'm not saying its a bad program...its prolly one of the better ones out today. But I just didn't understand it I guess. So I continue to use Premiere 6.0 until I find something else more simple.

I disagree. I really like vegas 5. Its one of the best for its price range in my opinion. It doesn't have very many significant upgrades from the the previous model, but it certainly is one to consider. Its defenitely not a consumer editing software, but it is nice. Lots of options. Download the demo from sony.com and find out for yourself its wonders.

In a moment of resurrection I have decided to tell my experiences with this software. At my school we have used Sonic Foundry Vegas since the time the new teacher took over the postition. It is so much easier than what we used before that. Granted it wasn't Final Cut or Avid, but it was so much easier. At that time it was Vegas 4.0. Once Sony took over Sonic Foundry and came out with Vegas 5.0, Me and my teacher went crazy and insisted on purchaing the software for each editing station we have.

The reason that Vegas 5.0, in my opinion, is better than Final Cut or Avid is because primarily of its ability to preview the final product without spending the time to prerender what you have. With the prerender built into the program, it cuts down editing time on large productions by an hour or two at minimum.

I have used Final Cut before, as we purchased a copy to try it our, but the prerender function that was not there, and the fact that the different bins were a difficulty to manuever around gaev us the opinion to stick with vegas. Avid pretty much had the same problem, but I only used a trial version because the teacher didn't want to purchase a sopy just to be disappointed again.

This led us to Vegas 5.0. I can't wait until the sub-industry of post-production in filmmaking begins using Vegas 5.0 on more and more productions. With the Magic Bullet plug-in you can give the final product an appearance that has been seen in many different movies edited with Avid or Final Cut. Vegas can do almost, if not all, of the things that the other two leading editing software can do.

Some thing that and Vegas package has that the competitor software doesn't have is an excellent sound editing area built into the program. This audio editing portion is based upon the award winning Sound Forge audio editing package. This is another reason that Vgeas 5.0 Stands out above the others.

I plan to use Vegas 5.0 as long as I can. It has showed me the ease of editing and the time saving capabilities only help the matter.

I hope that this has given you some insight into the abilities and good things with Sony's Vegas 5.0.

I have used Premier and FCP for the last few years but have recently started working with Vegas. Theres a few quarks that i dont like about it but i would definately say that it stands up to premier and fcp standards. who knows...i might even eventually switch :)

The reason that Vegas 5.0, in my opinion, is better than Final Cut or Avid is because primarily of its ability to preview the final product without spending the time to prerender what you have.

I don't know about FCP, but Avid rarely needs to render anything before you do the final output to tape. In fact, I think you can avoid the final render too if you have the Mojo box plugged in (or, presumably, any of their more expensive hardware).

Similar to Avid... FCP has not trouble previewing without rendering as long as you've gone through your settings and told it to do so for you...
However, you will need more than just a single gigabite of ram to accomplish this.

Network Sponsors

Back