Using a characters name

R

Readingruffini

Lets say you are describing a character's actions, preferably in the opening scene, and you are planning to introduce his name later in the scene to introduce him. When you put the character name when he is speaking would you put his name which you will soon learn, or a phrase to describe which character you are talking about.

For example, lets say the opening scene is in a jail cell and two characters are talking. Would you put Prisoner 1 and Prisoner 2 above what they say? (considering that the audience will learn Prisoner 1's name in a couple minutes)

well, frankly that's a personal preference issue.

Myself, I would just use the character's name in the script, so that there is no confusion on the part of anyone else.

Remember this... unless or until a character's name is said by another character, or that very character... he/she has not been introduced.

So, by just using the character's name in the script... it's only saying to the cast & crew that Prisoner 1 is Jerry Garcia... not to be confused with a random prisoner 1 character... the audience will still not know who he/she is until it is revealed by spoken word or text.

Happy Writing!

There are several ways in which to do this:

CHARACTER DESCRIPTION(CHARACTER NAME)

CHARACTER NAME

Or, have one of the other characters use their name. When the character in question replies...well, here. Let me show you.

MAN
Hey!

WOMAN
Danny! How's it going?

MAN
It's going okay.

WOMAN
Really?

DANNY
Yeah. I'm sure.

Something like that. Or you could add osme action, where it syas something like "and Danny, the man, does so and so"

Network Sponsors

Back