Trying to get lit

rogermarsh

I've read a lot of the posts here and am trying to put together over the next two weeks a basic lighting kit for a full-length DV project I'm shooting in June. Using a Canon GL-1. Just upgraded my sound with a boom mic kit; and I'm afraid to say that lighting -important as it is - has been last on my list.

I will have scenes to shoot both indoors and outdoors, day and night; with most scenes being shot within fairly small rooms and hallways, interior, during the day. The location is a hotel-restaurant-bar in a small Pennsylvania town. Five main characters; with an additional 15 minor characters; 200 extras; 30 crew members.

I found one company offering what appeared to be a well-rounded lighting kit, but the price was $995, too much to spend at the moment; trying to get the job done with no more than $350. I have a long way to go trying to narrow this down, but looking at this one kit, and then trying to find the pieces cheaper at different sites, I'm at this point right now.

1. I need at least one main light - with a softbox. I found a 24x24, light 440 wats, softbox, and stand for $49.95.
2. I need fill light; one company offers two 250-watt lamps, both with umbrellas, and two stands for $116.95.
3. Then it seemed I would need at least one spot light - although I need to jump back into the research now - and needing gels (red, yellow, blue). And a barndoor.

My apologies for asking too soon as I was so busy finalizing the production script, casting, and well, the 100 other jobs that need to be focused on. I am working on a Hollywood film being shot now in Chicago to raise the final funds for production (as an extra) and that's eating up 15 hours a day of my time. You do what you have to do. I really wanted to get more research done before posting here - but would like any advice on a basic set of lights to go into the field with - with a note on things like barndoors, gels, watts, umbrellas, etc. I may have to figure out how it all works on the set as I don't have a professional gaffer on the crew - but quite a few film students lending a hand who will have some knowledge; and one special effects artist whose specialty is fog and laser lights.

How close is your shoot to Philly, and how long is the shoot?

might consider renting... cheaper, and you'll be able to probobly have a better package.

Yeah, definitely look into renting. Were you closer to Philly, I could hook you up with a kit from my school (provided I'd be on set with it) but the cross state trek is a bit much for me.

thanks

thanks

I'm going to try and avoid renting as I want to own the equipment. Thanks for even considering coming to the set.

My Idea is to build your own light set up, its cheaper you can use clamp light which are about $15 each or work light at about $30 and up I made my own and am using it now on my set they work excelent and easly move able

Network Sponsors

Back