Trying to figure out how one could make the lives of aspiring cinematographers easier

Hey everyone!

I have two very simple questions:

1. As an aspiring cinematographer, what are the 2 biggest issues you're dealing with?

2. Regarding cinematography, what would you wish for more than anything else?

Thanks so much in advance - looking forward to reading your answers!

Hello and welcome to the forum!
Any aspiring cinematographer has to deal with technical issues, of having the lightning or camera moves look good, then the workflow of post production. Another struggle is that you might have trouble finding talented cast and crew in the area that is not a filmmaking hotspot such as LA or NYC. Then it is hard to find and secure a location that you actually want. Also, another problem might be the budget, if you are on a low budget, it is hard to make a great movie at high standards.

From a Producer's perspective:
Next week I'm interviewing DPs (nobody calls them Cinematographers anymore) for a project to be shot in Oct.
My minimum equipment requirement is that my DP must have 6k Red Camera Package. I'd prefer 8k.
And I want to see, clean, well maintained equipment as much as I want to see a fantastic reel. The DP can dress like an artsy bum, but his equipment must be in sharp shape.
And the DP must have the temperament and patience to put up with the occasional Director's blow up while remaining professional. If the DP doesn't get along with the Director, there's no right or wrong, just a DP who gets fired.
DPs need people skills, not just camera skills. As you navigate your career, don't forget that, and it will serve you well.

Network Sponsors

Back