Tips for first time director?

Assuming you have a small and limited crew,

storyboard your shots, prepare a schedule, budget thoroughly, feed everyone in the cast & crew, make sure you have a printed copy of the script for each actor and yourself. I always have a clipboard with me with the script, schedule and shot and sound list that I cross off.

The most important aspect of the film is that your performances are believable so actor performance is top prio. If their acting is not believable then people will stop watching. Second most important is the story, does it have a clear conflict, does the protagonist have a strong desire line from beginning to end. 3rd most important is the vision, all stories have already been told, but are you brining anything new to the table? That is the vision of the director.
Everything else, cinematography, vfx, sound, costumes makeup etc is not as important if you nail those 3.

If you are also operating the camera then make sure you watch the actor’s eyes and not just the lighting and composition.
Studies show most viewers will look at the actor’s eyes, the gateway into their soul, are they really sad, happy etc or faking it. If it’s not working there must be something wrong with the dialogue, the beats of the scene or blocking of the scene.

If possible test shoot beforehand with your friends or family and figure out what is working and not working before filming for real. Once on set you must soldier through even if you know you made mistakes, it’s better to move on or try something new then get stuck on one specific problem.

If you have a large crew, many people will be looking to you for guidance, the moment you crack and get stressed out, everyone on set will feel it and the mood will worsen, avoid that and don’t show how nervous you are.

Sound is also important if possible get the best sound possible and pay for a good production sound mixer, however it’s still possible to fix in ADR, image is even harder to fix in post. A rookie mistake is having crew items like backpacks and drinks in the shot, designate an area where everyone can hide their stuff.

Make a checklist of all equipments and props. A common mistake I make is losing items on set, delaying time. Wear cargo pants with lots of pockets if you are operating camera that way you can have lens locks and extra batteries on hand.

I got more tips but this should give you an idea what you need to think about before the shoot or your next shoot if you already filmed your project. Good luck!

Assuming you have a small and limited crew,

storyboard your shots, prepare a schedule, budget thoroughly, feed everyone in the cast & crew, make sure you have a printed copy of the script for each actor and yourself. I always have a clipboard with me with the script, schedule and shot and sound list that I cross off.

The most important aspect of the film is that your performances are believable so actor performance is top prio. If their acting is not believable then people will stop watching. Second most important is the story, does it have a clear conflict, does the protagonist have a strong desire line from beginning to end. 3rd most important is the vision, all stories have already been told, but are you brining anything new to the table? That is the vision of the director.
Everything else, cinematography, vfx, sound, costumes makeup etc is not as important if you nail those 3.

If you are also operating the camera then make sure you watch the actor’s eyes and not just the lighting and composition.
Studies show most viewers will look at the actor’s eyes, the gateway into their soul, are they really sad, happy etc or faking it. If it’s not working there must be something wrong with the dialogue, the beats of the scene or blocking of the scene.

If possible test shoot beforehand with your friends or family and figure out what is working and not working before filming for real. Once on set you must soldier through even if you know you made mistakes, it’s better to move on or try something new then get stuck on one specific problem.

If you have a large crew, many people will be looking to you for guidance, the moment you crack and get stressed out, everyone on set will feel it and the mood will worsen, avoid that and don’t show how nervous you are.

Sound is also important if possible get the best sound possible and pay for a good production sound mixer, however it’s still possible to fix in ADR, image is even harder to fix in post. A rookie mistake is having crew items like backpacks and drinks in the shot, designate an area where everyone can hide their stuff.

Make a checklist of all equipments and props. A common mistake I make is losing items on set, delaying time. Wear cargo pants with lots of pockets if you are operating camera that way you can have lens locks and extra batteries on hand.

I got more tips but this should give you an idea what you need to think about before the shoot or your next shoot if you already filmed your project. Good luck!
Brilliant thanks!

I second @ivan94film! I am a composer, but I work with directors. One thing that is abundantly clear is that directors who do not have a clear vision and cannot explain clearly what the heart of the film is have an even more daunting task ahead of them. Figure this out first if you can or develop it quickly. The cast and crew are depending on you for this direction.

The heart of the film is the core of the film, that without it, the film would break down. Nothing would make sense. It inspires makeup, music, wardrobe, everything. It is the reason why artistic decisions are made...it's all based on the heart of the film. Most of the time, it's related to the title of the film.

Break a leg!

Network Sponsors

Back