Time code entering

Kapil Raj

Hello,
I just want to clarify the way to reset the time code while the tapes are changed.Some people used to enter 01,02,03,... in the hour section.
Means 01:00:00:00,02:00:00:00,03:00:00:00,....... ,Is this a right way.Also what about in multi camera set up?Do we have to put it in Rec Run or Free Run?

about the multi cam i did that a few months ago and with fcp i could go in there and change the time codemanually and thats what i did... i just counted the frames back from a certain video i saw in all of them. but you could do run... but you would have to press the button at the same exact time on all cameras.

Re: Time code entering

Kapil Raj said:
Hello,
I just want to clarify the way to reset the time code while the tapes are changed.Some people used to enter 01,02,03,... in the hour section.
Means 01:00:00:00,02:00:00:00,03:00:00:00,....... ,Is this a right way.Also what about in multi camera set up?Do we have to put it in Rec Run or Free Run?

there is no right or wrong way to do this. It's really up to the producer or editor and their preference.

If I know I won't be cutting several cameras of a live event together, I'll start first video of my first tape at 1 hour (i.e., 01:00:00:00). I'll set the camera to 00:59:30:00 and roll 30 seconds of color bars first. I keep the mode set to record run so that the timecode does not keep advancing after I stop recording. When I change tapes, if I have the time, I'll set the timecode to start at the next hour, (e.g., tape 2 starts at 02:00:00:00, tape 3 starts at 03:00:00:00, etc.).

If I'm cutting multiple cams together, then I'll sync all the cameras using Time-of-Day Timecode. Basically, set one camera (the master camera) to Free Run, and set the time code to the time on your watch or a clock in military time (24-hour time). Then set all the other cameras to Free Run, and sync the timecode using the master camera or the same clock you used to set the master.

Good luck.

The only tue way to keep cameras in sync is to keep them connected to eachother. I've been on shoots before where we put all the cameras in free run, and then synced them, thinking that they would jsut stay with the same timecode (which they would, in theory) but for some reason, one camera slowly got behind. As far as leaving them connected with free vs record run, you can do either. If you do record, just make sure you always start rolling on the master before any of the other cameras.

Network Sponsors

Back